Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] lowpass filter output

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBHT

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
if i give a square wave input to a lowpass filter(1st order) whose corner frequency is much higher than the input frequency, at the output do i get a square wave or triangular wave(since 1st order lowpass is an integrator)?
if cutoff frequency is 10kHz and if i give an input of 50Hz then i thought i will get a square wave at the output since most of its harmonics pass through it..but i am getting triangular wave..is it correct? if yes then how?:arrow: thanks in advance :)

you should get triangle because you are integrating, square wave is made up of sine waves and triangle is made of cos wave, there fore integrating square will turn all its fundamentals to cos wave, which in turns produce a triangle signal over all.

you should get triangle because you are integrating, square wave is made up of sine waves and triangle is made of cos wave, there fore integrating square will turn all its fundamentals to cos wave, which in turns produce a triangle signal over all.

No, it's not correct.

Of course, if the cut-off frequency is 10kHz and the basic frequency of the squarewave is only 50 Hz you will get at the output again a squarewave-like signal of 50 Hz.
If you see a triangle something went wrong with your simulation. Check it again! In particular, improve the time resolution (more steps).

Last edited:
Reactions: GBHT

GBHT

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.