Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

low resistance between gnd and vcc

Status
Not open for further replies.

santoshkskkr

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I had a card in which while doing some soldering work for mounting component, the resistance between 3.3V and ground came down from 460ohm to 3.6 ohm. I tried to debug it. I found for solder ball which i removed but of no use .I also removed all the capacitors connected to 3.3V and Ground but the resistance is same. What could be the problem and how can i solve it.

Hi,

At 3.3V and 3.6Ohms there is a current of about 0.9A, giving a power of about 3W. That is much heat that you can feel with your fingers. Be carefull.

If you don't want to test with 0.9A, then you may use a current limiting resistor. Maybe 100 ohms to limit to 33mA.
Use a mV meter, connect Gnd to Gnd. With the other wire test several points (starting near your power supply) in your 3.3V line. The lower the voltage, the nearer is the bad connection.

Hope this helps
Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.