Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Loss tangent of cardboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navaneeth1989

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I would like to know the loss tangent of cardboard at <25MHz. I tried searching for values, but without any luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, not sure, but I think this is related to dielectric constant (relative permittivity) of the material? These things are hard to find.. I know the dielectric constant for a few materials (some plastics) but not for cardboard...

If "cardboard" is meant to refer to a technical printed circuit board substrate, it would be a good idea to use a sligthly more precise specification. Generic FR4 has a loss tangent specification of 0.035 @ 1 MHz.

I meant a packaging cardboard. I am using it as a base to make flat spiral coils and want to test them. But I cannot find the loss tangent data for the frequency I want to test. The cardboard material has negligible loss tangent at 915 MHz. But does this imply anything at all at frequencies <25 MHz?

It will be surely low for dry material and most likely affected by moisture, which is absorbed by paper and similar materials. This means that you can hardly specify an exact value.

It's easy to measure a test capacitor with a LCR meter or VNA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back