Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Loop Gain Analysis 2 Pole system

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirror_pole

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey guys,

I have a question concerning second order feedback systems. I read that such systems are always stable and that the feedback affects the poles that they move closer towards each other, but always stay at LHP.

But how about the zeros? I mean additional feedback also creates zeros and if i have a RHP zero my system could become unstable. Do the authors ignore this fact or did i missunderstand it?

Hey guys,

I have a question concerning second order feedback systems. I read that such systems are always stable and that the feedback affects the poles that they move closer towards each other, but always stay at LHP.

But how about the zeros? I mean additional feedback also creates zeros and if i have a RHP zero my system could become unstable. Do the authors ignore this fact or did i missunderstand it?

That is true theoretically if system is pure second order, because phase shift of
180 degrees can never be reached, only in limits. This precludes the presence of
negative resistance in system (if my memory serves me).

But in practical terms, throw in a little input C or output C load, or imperfect passive
components, like L and C, whole other situation. Then we have to design for
phase margin as we now have a 3'rd or greater order system. To keep our amplifier
from becoming an oscillator.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.