Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

looking for suggestions on actuator grid

Status
Not open for further replies.

thule

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi folks

I have a small question. I am trying to design an actuator grid. It needs to be around 2x3in. I want to put around 50x40 = 2000 tiny actuators on it. These will be handled by a pi or an arduino possibly using a few shift registers.

I have been looking at options including piezo, electromagnetic coils. I have Rochelle salt and planning to make a crystal and then cut it to make small rods to make the piezo.

These need to be able to respond around 100hz or less. Range of movement required is a few mm or less. Low power consumption will be a big help.

Any ideas? I am a newbie and am kind of stuck at this point.

Thanks

No takers?

I have been reading more and came across electrostatic devices. However these seem to be in the micrometer range than what I am looking for.

Any ideas? Thanks

Earphones are the closest thing that comes to mind. The inexpensive kind that fit in the ear canal.

These have a small coil of wire, and a metal plate over the top end. The audio signal is AC current. This creates a magnetic field which vibrates the metal plate a tiny distance.

Suppose you take one of these, remove the plate, and put a tiny rod inside the coil. Then you have a solenoid.

Earphones are the closest thing that comes to mind. The inexpensive kind that fit in the ear canal.

These have a small coil of wire, and a metal plate over the top end. The audio signal is AC current. This creates a magnetic field which vibrates the metal plate a tiny distance.

Suppose you take one of these, remove the plate, and put a tiny rod inside the coil. Then you have a solenoid.

Hi there

I was thinking of that as well. However my application is to create a grid of several of these as a small panel - likely to be upwards of several hundreds. I am also hoping to be able to integrate the making of this once the prototypes are done. That is why I was looking more for voltage driven than current driven considering the number of the actuators and also the portability needs requiring battery operation.

Thanks a lot.

Since you mentioned piezo devices, you probably know about piezo fans which move back and forth. Possibly as fast as your spec frequency of 100 Hz.

I can't advise about amount of motion, power requirements, etc. I picture you might remove the paddle piece, leaving you an actuator of some sort.

Since you mentioned piezo devices, you probably know about piezo fans which move back and forth. Possibly as fast as your spec frequency of 100 Hz.

I can't advise about amount of motion, power requirements, etc. I picture you might remove the paddle piece, leaving you an actuator of some sort.

No, I haven't heard of peizo fans before but I guess they are a type of amplified actuators. I am looking at these now. Also, what do you consider to be a good workable material to make piezoelectric blocks out of - I am thinking of PVDF - I can form it and then use the triad of heat/stretch and high DC voltage bias to pole it.

Any other suggestions will be greatly welcome. I am new to all this and am learning as I go along. If I make any dumb plans/suggestions please do correct me.

Thanks

Hi

Is it possible to use SMD inductors to cause actuation? I mean if I stack two inductors one on top of other and supply current in opposite directions will they repel each other?

Thanks

Hi

Is it possible to use SMD inductors to cause actuation? I mean if I stack two inductors one on top of other and supply current in opposite directions will they repel each other?

Thanks

In principle it will work. I almost asked why one of them can't be a magnet. Then I realized a lot of neighboring magnets would interfere with each other.

A moving inductor will move its connecting wires too. Eventually a wire will break.

It might be of interest to learn about dot matrix print heads. These contain several solenoids spaced a small distance apart. Each one is independent, pushing a wire a small distance to punch against the paper. I'm not sure whether the wire is pulled back by spring action, or by the solenoid.

Did not realize about dot matrix heads. Will look those up. I am also looking up on 3d printing inductors. I am not sure how multi layering and insulating turns of copper will work.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back