Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for proper SMA connector which can be bond 90 degree to my microstrip circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

bidbirdlin

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I use SMA connector with RF Pin. The RF Pin is standing out of the internal cavity of the Enclosure and bond with Gold Ribbon on Microstripe Substrate.

SMA_Connector.png

Please refer to attachment for the structure. For this kind of connection, I didn't get very good Return Loss(-5dB) and Insertion Loss(-2dB). The reason might be just not 50ohm matching and the inductance of the gold riboon which make return worse. I can use quarter wave length of 50ohm Transmission line with some tuning to get at least 2:1(-10dB) Return Loss but this is not a perfect solution.

I have also calculated the lossless coaxial line impedance by the formula Zo=(60/√(Er))ln(b/a) which "b" is outer radius of Enclosure Wall and "a" is inner radius of RF Pin. If air is the insulating material between enclosure wall and RF pin, by using 15mil diameter RF pin I need 35mil diameter of Enclosure hole to produce 50ohm impedance.

I have created an enclosure with 30mil diameter hole to test previous theory but I didn't get good return loss either. Although I still can do some tuning on 50ohm T.L to get good return loss, this is still just a temporary solution.

I still hope I can get a better solution so I don't need to turn to get at least 2:1(-10dB) return loss. I am searching any solution and also see if there is any better SMA or other type or connector can be used for this kind of purpose. The connector is 90 degree to the surface of my circuit. Therefore I need
to find something can provide good 50 ohms matching between this two discontinuities.

Thank you for viewing my question.

What is the frequency you are operating at?
Can you explain your carrier and substrate in more detail? What is the materials involved?
How are the carrier and connctor bonded to the enclosure?

Without answers my quick shot answer is to look carefully at your ground bonding. If the frequncy is very high it can have big effects on RL and IL if you do not have a very good ground connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back