Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for Microwave Radiometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

huiyuzz

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dickie radiometer

Hi,

I'm looking for a microwave radiometer for my antenna applications..

I've no idea which are the companies that manufacture "microwave radiometer".

Has anyone used it before or can enlighten me which are the companies that carry this product?

Cheers
huiyuzz

What do you mean ? are you looking for a noise figure meter ?

huiyuzz said:
Hi,

I'm looking for a microwave radiometer for my antenna applications..

I've no idea which are the companies that manufacture "microwave radiometer".

Has anyone used it before or can enlighten me which are the companies that carry this product?

Cheers
huiyuzz

https://www.radiometrics.com/products.htm

marcomdd said:

**broken link removed**

A good radiometric instrument is also Dog's Nose. For example my old classmate's dog Tinkerbell. Damn where am I and where is she now. What a wonderful (stinking) world.

marcomdd said:

Sorry, correction: now the use is for soil moisture detection.

I've found a few, but not operating in the 1-10GHz.

I'm looking for the C-band, L-band radiometers..

Cheers
huiyuzz

you try in ALCATEL and ASTRIUM. they make radiometers for ESA and CNES of france. handheld radiometers are available in the market.

For my opinion, a radiometer is more like an art rather than technique.
Basically, in the "components" domain, it's an amplifiers chain eventually converted and followed by a detector; it's the simpliest radio receiver.

But the difficult is the drift minimization and the temperature calibration.
For this reasons lot of architecture has been proposed. The most known is the Dickie and require a stable and accurate low thermal source.

Switching in the market domain, i'm not able to suggest nothing, but remember that the radiometer is everytime tailored for a specific use. Be sceptic to general purpose units.

Sergio mariotti very true, radiometers are not instruments as instruments, but are instruments particularly to fill a need.

Market is not that broad. So you figure it.

huiyuzz is looking for "soil moisture detection" radiometers to operate in range 1-10GHz as I understand.

How wide is the market for these?

huiyuzz you better contact the companies which make them if they can make one custom for you.

djalli said:
marcomdd said:

h**p://www.arm.gov/instruments/static/mwr.stm

A good radiometric instrument is also Dog's Nose. For example my old classmate's dog Tinkerbell. Damn where am I and where is she now. What a wonderful (stinking) world.

Also:

Design and Testing of NFRad - A new noise measurement system - TN1518 J. Randa - NIST

Radiometer Equation and Analysis of Systematic Errors for the NIST Automated Radiometers - TN1327 - Daywitt

Radiometer, a word with too many shadings.

Hi all,

thankz for the comments. I've contacted Alcatel, they promised a reply soon.

Cheers
huiyuzz

You can read the book "radiometer principles" by Neils Skou. This is an excellent book on RADIOMETERS.

Anybody interested in MAKING a radiometer, please indicate your frequency band of interest, and temperature resolution.

I have made many good radiometers, so I can help. My low-cost favorites use satellite LNBs at 4, 11 GHz, I can build receivers for other frequencies.

For fun I built small "pocket" radio telescopes for solar noise observation.

jiripolivka said:
Anybody interested in MAKING a radiometer, please indicate your frequency band of interest, and temperature resolution.

I have made many good radiometers, so I can help. My low-cost favorites use satellite LNBs at 4, 11 GHz, I can build receivers for other frequencies.

For fun I built small "pocket" radio telescopes for solar noise observation.

Dear Jiripolivka,
I am not EE. I am a physics major. How can you help on converting a satellite LNB to 160.1 GHz radiometer. I would like to pick up cosmic microwave background radiation with home made stuff. Thanks.

Can u please help me out to design and in integration of "Dickei Radiometer"
plzzzz....!!! :?:
my mail id: amit261287@gmail.com

---------- Post added at 23:14 ---------- Previous post was at 23:11 ----------

Any body help me out to design a DIckei Radiometer..>!!!
how to make it compact as far as possible
currently i m reading neil skou..!!

Dear Jiripolivka,
I am not EE. I am a physics major. How can you help on converting a satellite LNB to 160.1 GHz radiometer. I would like to pick up cosmic microwave background radiation with home made stuff. Thanks.

Ummm I think you will find you are NOT going to detect that from earths surface or even with reasonable altitude
thats why, some years ago, they launched the COBE satellite COsmic Background Explorer
you are looking at noise(signal) levels that are only a few 10's of Kelvin and its just too noisy on earth to detect, let alone what is filtered out by the atmosphere.

cheers
Dave

PS ohhh and you wont convert a satellite LNA to 160GHz, the waveguide is much too big for a start. Technology for a 160GHz low noise receiver is going to require some serious sub-millimetre electronics knowledge. An EE you may well have to be ;) time for you to double major :)

I am again welcoming any questions on making a microwave radiometer. Start best with what you want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back