Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Load Cell Amplifier Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

asimzia

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi i am Electronics Engineering student. I am using 10Kg load cells in my final year project. But the problem is that the Load cells give very small output. My load cell gives just 0.5mV/Kg change at its output and i need to give it to microcontroller. So it needs to be amplified first.

I need a suitable amplifier for my Load Cell.

Can any one help ?????

If you still want then reply.

thnx for your reply FvM. I am a bit new to this site,although I joined long before, and still browsing through all the threads. Its an ocean out there. :)

I want to bother you guys once more. I am doing a project using a 100kg platform load cell. I can amplify my output voltage easily with an instrumentation amplifier. But my problem is elsewhere. I want use the output voltage with a atmega16 microcontroller. Now when I use power supply to power both uC and Amplifier, the amplifier shows bias voltage instead of showing the amplified voltage at output.

This happens irrespective of whether i connect the output to uC's analog input or not.

I am using a 12volt DC supply to power amplifier and using a 7805 to supply 5 volt to uC. Can you guys tell what I am doing wrong? Or suggest me something else?

---------- Post added at 07:44 ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 ----------

I am not using a chip, i made the instrumentation amplifier my self. A differential amplifier gives the problem.

Now when I use power supply to power both uC and Amplifier, the amplifier shows bias voltage instead of showing the amplified voltage at output.
I don't understand which problem you're addressing here. You should show a circuit schematic.

Hey FvM

here is the circuit diagram. But I am sorry I had to give u a hand drawn copy. Let me know if it is not legible.

circuit2.jpg

The +12v is supplied by a single power supply (Adapter).

If I do not connect the uC via a 7805 on the circuit, the amplifier works perfectly.

But the moment I connect the uC in the circuit, (I mean I provide +12v to the 7805, subsequently supplying 5v to uC), the amplifier output shows bias voltage (~+11v).

It is to be noted that it doesnt matter if the output of the amplifier is connected to the uC, happens all the time.

If I use two separate power supply (adapters) the circuit works fine but then I cannot provide the uC with valid aref signal.

I hope I managed to explain the problem to you.

So, in short the problem is

I am not getting amplified output in the amplifier output, rather getting constant ~+11 volts.

My gain settings should show an amplified voltage between 0-5v.

Status
Not open for further replies.