Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM 317 replacement for UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

hasan.m.06

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am testing a UPS & found LM 317 ic was faulty.
It's model no 34C03H9. So if i want to replace the ic is it mandatory to follow the same model no?
Can anyone plz give me a solution.

If a pin-to-pin replacement is required then the new LM317 part is the only option ..
There are no equivalents that can replace the LM317, some manufacturers offer this IC under slightly different name (for example USM317), but it is always the same IC ..

You shouldn't have difficulty in obtaining one, it's a very common IC ..

Rgds,
IanP
:D

Hi, LM317 is a common ic you will get it at any electronics shops around or in your old power supply dont mind about the model number they are all the same.

IanP said:
...There are no equivalents that can replace the LM317,...
Hi Ian,
Its not right.
It exist over ten years a 100% pin/data compatible newer type of Linear Technology, what one of the first LDO`s is(needs only ca. 1.5V drop,0.8A & SOT223,-relative GOOD to the originals 2.5-3V! :))...
Seems its no more to order in TO220(I did applayed in a project at 2000, it was a nice regulator), but LT317 still exist nowadays too in TO220, has 1.5A capability but 2.0V drop over ca 0Celsius (at 1A), by lower temp.: max ca. 2.3V)..
@Kabiru,
As you see it over that, their are all only more or less the same; much are better but with same type number; clear, they are (most)moderner replacements too...
K.

It’s a matter of convention whether it is a drop-in replacement or not ,
For sure, if the output current is below 0.8A – it can be said it’s the LM317 replacement, in other circumstances one can not compare 0.8A (LT1117) with 1.5A (LM317), 3A (LM350) or 5A (LM338) ..

Rgds,
IanP
:D

I agree in (some) points with you Ian, but hasan didnt explained us what kind of packages has to replace, than I wrote over the 1.5A LT317, TO220 version too_OK some less LDO, what here no subject was! :)
K.

Status
Not open for further replies.