Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

linux basic question

Status
Not open for further replies.

welove8051

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello geeks, i have been working on controllers for 7+ years. now want to work on embedded linux. i have friendly arm mini. please clarify my following doubts.

1, what software should i need to use to write coding for example led blink in friendly arm. is it GCC or any other one(qt creator)?

2, i want to blink led on friendly arm. where should i need to start. using a kernel or shell script.

3, after compiling do i need to copy the code to a memory card and run it on the friendly arm.

if not please give the steps to be followed.

thanks in advance

Hi welove8051

the most easiest way is to install the compiler on your target and compile your program directly on your target.
But this is not the normal way.

The correct way is that you have a development system on your PC.
The development system consists of three different parts.
1.) Crosscompiler like gcc, binutils and libc.
2.) Buildsystem with all include files and libraries for your target.
3.) IDE like qtcreator or a simple editor.

Now you can start writing your GpioLed Flashing application.
This link is a start.
https://falsinsoft.blogspot.ch/2012/11/access-gpio-from-linux-user-space.html

You can setup the qtcreator so that the deployment will happen automatically.

Does the application has to be on the SD card?
Depends on. You can setup your target with NFS File System.
In this case all programs and libraries will reside on the PC.
But I wouldn't start with that.

A good hint. ssh is your friend. Try to establish a network connection first and check that the sshd daemon is running

Good luck.
Cheers
Juergen

hello geeks, i have been working on controllers for 7+ years. now want to work on embedded linux. i have friendly arm mini. please clarify my following doubts.

1, what software should i need to use to write coding for example led blink in friendly arm. is it GCC or any other one(qt creator)?

2, i want to blink led on friendly arm. where should i need to start. using a kernel or shell script.

3, after compiling do i need to copy the code to a memory card and run it on the friendly arm.

if not please give the steps to be followed.

thanks in advance

hey,
i am working on friendly arm more then 3 months. i have a little exp. on it.
first of all download the arm linux gcc compiler given in the kernel guide.
download it from arm sites.

@welove8051,
I believe you have the CD that came with your board if not then download the software from their FTP site.
Please name the board next time.
You will first need the to install cross compiler tool chain and binutils.
If using Ubuntu you can use arm-linux-gnueabi or arm-linux-gnueabihf.
apt-get install build-essentials
Use zypper install instead of apt-get install in openSUSE.
Install library libncurces.
sudo apt-get install arm-linux-gnueabi / arm-linux-gnueabihf
You can also use cross compiler provided by Friendly ARM but that is little old.
Friendly ARM provides Linux Kernel zImage for kernel version 2.6 and ext3 based qtopiea file system.
You will have to use SD Flasher tool provided by Friendly ARM to load bootloader (super boot) in the memory card. Guide can be found online.
Copy File System and Kernel image in /images folder.

COM0 will be your default STDIN and STDOUT. All debugging information can be read from there.
You can use COM0 to access terminal of your friendly arm.
Install minicom or cutecom in your development platform.

Copy your cross-compiled program on SDCard. You can run the program via terminal acessed from minicom.

If you write hello world program you will be able to see hello world out on your development pc terminal (minicom) when it is run.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.