Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linear regulator with 250mA output

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I thought about upping this old thread.

Did you ever finish testing?

I have been in a same kind of situation myself. I have a SOIC8 cased regulator and measured the surface temperature with a ir meter at 55 celcius. Do you think this is too hot? The system is working, but how much am I compromising the reliability? The calculated power dissipation should be about 0.35 W.

Hi,
Check pls the datasheet of your regulator for Thermal resistance of junction-case/ambient...
Its maybe some at 10--20celsius/Watt & 30--60 or even at 100Celsius/Watt...
Otherwise what an IR meter measures is not an absolute value_has relative big uncertanity because the needed emissions correction, but is a good orientation. :)
Also a temperature with ca. 55 celsius with an environment of maybe 25 celsius_must means that your regulator will not overheated(if the measured 55 celsius was taken at full load)...
K.

Reactions: samppa

samppa

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for a quick reply!

My regulator's datasheet only says that the junction-to-air thermal resistance is 160 C/W. Other thermal resistances are not told. But it's a normal SOIC8 case, and the calculated power dissipation is about 0.35 W.

The 55 Celcius reading was taken at full load, and I know that the regulator is not acutely overheating as everything works OK. But I was wondering if I am compromising the regulator's long term reliability if I continue running this system for 24/7 Or should I add a heat sink (which would be very hard at this point)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back