Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

limited or low connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadoweek

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
limited or low connectivity cause

hi,

i have a DSL network conection and i've added recently another computer to the network, but the problem is that i get a message from the lan icon on the system tray telling me that i this connection is of limited or low connectivity, although i checked its cable on another computer and it just works fine.... so, any help?

WinXP SP2 always give this issue. The LAN icon sometime will indicate limited connectivity. Anyway, I found it working fine although it's stated. This always happen when connect using cross cable. How you connect the new computer into the network?

for leekk8:
i used a straight cable and not a crossed one.

for faghani:
thank you for the link.

anyway guys, i solved this issue by just changing the order of colors of the straight cable i have, but can anyone suggest why could this have solved the problem?

you can solve this using the
set up a home or office network applet in the network connections manager

you must set it up so it uses the right choice
or youll get this issue

it maybe you have a firewall running
this can cause problems

If you solved the problem with changing the order of colors of the cable, means previously your cable makes the problem, as the order of color must be correct to ensure the network is working.

> i get a message from the lan icon on the system tray telling me that i this connection is of limited or low connectivity,

This message is given when the ethernet link appears to be connected to some other
device but windows does not get a response to DHCP requests.

>WinXP SP2 always give this issue.
No it does not.

>i solved this issue by just changing the order of colors of the
>straight cable i have, but can anyone suggest why could this have solved the problem?

Possibly because the wires for incoming data were connected correctly so the network
card detected a link but the wires for outgoing data were wrong so DHCP requests did
not get sent out so DHCP did not work.

hey guys, what I mean at the moment is, why can't i choose any order of the wires' colors at one side and stick to it at the other, so that both ends are of the same color order other than sticking to a certain defined pattern of the colors? why can't i choose any pattern and just stick to it at the other end?

why is there a well defiined order? is it related to noise thing as i heard from somebody or what?

Hi shadoweek,
i think it is just like a practice and shouldnt be the problem "i guess" except if some of the wires have defects, in this case it is just a concident

hi safwatonline,

nice to know that you are here. anyway, the first order i have made have worked on some computers and didn't on others. however, the final arrangement i've made have worked on all computers. maybe, some of the wires are, as you said, defected so they attenuate the siganl very much and those computers which the connection have worked on in the first arrangement have better sensitivity, i guess...

shadoweek said:
why can't i choose any order of the wires' colors at one side and stick to it at the other, so that both ends are of the same color order other than sticking to a certain defined pattern of the colors? why can't i choose any pattern and just stick to it at the other end?

why is there a well defiined order? is it related to noise thing as i heard from somebody or what?

Look at a cat5 cable. The pairs are twisted together. The blue wire and the white-with-blue-stripe wire are twisted together.

High frequency signals are sent as a potential difference between the blue and white-with-blue-stripe.

If you send a high frequency signal as a potential difference between the orange wire and the blue wire there will be a lot of crosstalk to and from the signals on the white-with-blue-stripe and white-with-orange-stripe.

>i think it is just like a practice and shouldnt be the problem

You are wrong.

If the blue is swaped with the orange at both ends and the white-with-blue-stripe and white-with-orange-stripe are swapped at both ends it will be ok because the high speed data will still be on twisted pairs.

It will be ok if you swap a solid-colour wire and it's corresponding white-and-colour wire at both ends.

If you mix up the wires that have to be in pairs then it may work with a short cable but there will be problem with a long cable. There will be problems if the cable run next to other cables such as power cables because of crosstalk.

shadoweek

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,
what i meant is that the blue pair is not for pin 4 and 5 only they can be used for pin 1 and 2, i.e. the color of the wire pair is only a color od the sheilding pack but all pairs are alike, so we can replace blue pair with orange pair or whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back