Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Limitation in both Time Frequency Domains ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rat_race

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi everyone

i am wondering wether there exists signals limited both in time and frequency domains or not. actually i have been told by one of my professors that there is some. but i cant even imagine it ! could some one give me some examples : 3 at least ?

Regards

Hi Dear rat_race!

I don't understand the word "Limitations". Please say more details.

Thanks!

i mean any signal that has finite bandwidth in both frequency & time Domains.
imagine a simple Pulse with finite duration & its transform Sinc function, although it is finite in time but not in frequency. i should note that by finite , i mean exactly & strictly finite ! just like the pulse function in time domain. i do not mean effective fininte as may be defined arbitarily. any way this sounds impossible to me in mathematical terms, but the professor said that there exists some !!!

Hi

There are plenty of those signals, try looking at the Gaussian pulse exp(-t^2) and its n derivatives.

If you think this is a useful info, click on "helped me" for statistics

Sal

ya..there r some signals limited both in time and freuency domain lik a simple pulse signal and also gate signal...some finite time domain signal may be finite even in freq domain also ..since both are invrese only..right..

None of the examples given are valid. A Gaussian is NOT time or band limited since the signal amplitude never reaches 0. And a pulse in time is a constant over all frequency and vice versa. I don't know what a "gate signal" is, but as far as I know, it is mathematically impossible to have a signal that is both time limited and band limited.

From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandlimited:

A bandlimited signal cannot be also timelimited. More precisely, a function and its Fourier transform cannot both have finite support. This fact can be proved by using the sampling theorem.

Proof: Assume that a signal which has finite support in both domains exists, and sample it faster than the Nyquist frequency. This finite number of time-domain coefficients should define the entire signal. Equivalently, the entire spectrum of the bandlimited signal should be expressible in terms of the finite number of time-domain coefficients obtained from sampling the signal. Mathematically this is equivalent to requiring that a (trigonometric) polynomial can have infinitely many zeros in bounded intervals since the bandlimited signal must be zero on an interval beyond a critical frequency which has infinitely many points. However, it is well-known that polynomials do not have more zeros than their orders due to the fundamental theorem of algebra. This contradiction shows that our original assumption that a time-limited and bandlimited signal exists is incorrect.

rat_race

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back