Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Led flashlight to 12 volt

Status
Not open for further replies.

holabr

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a Led flashlight that runs on 4 AAA batteries. I would like to power it from a 12 volt DC power supply. Would it be best to use a variable voltage regulator or can I simply use a resistor to step down the voltage to avoid blowing out the Leds? Or is there a better way to accomplish this?
Thanks.

You want to keep the LED current about the same as it is with the batteries.

You could either reduce the voltage to be the same as the battery voltage, or, increase the current-limiting resistance that is used in series with the LEDs.

First, you need to determine what voltage is actually being used, from the batteries. There are four 1.5-volt batteries but we don't know how they are connected together. The voltage used for the LED circuits could be anywhere from 1.5 Volts 6 Volts, depending on how the batteries are connected.

If you can buy two of this 6V LED flashlight, just connect them in series and you get one 12V flashlight ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back