Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCR - Inductance measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam1980

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When I want to measure Inductance Through LCR

how do I know when use series & parallel mode

When I need to use in series

When I need to use in parallel

The have Scientific article on the subject ?

Thx

Liam

Hi,

no scientific article needed.
It depends on your device (DUT). Or what you need to know.

Klaus

Series and parallel R are different equivalent circuits representing the same complex impedance measurement. You can convert one into the other.

Hi,

The original post asks for measuring inductance and responses are shifted to impedance. Why ?

impedance is the result of a real and imaginary part, where the real part is the resistance and the imaginary the reactance. If the inductance would be an ideal one, there would not be a real component and no use for a series or parallel representation. So finally it ends up in an impedance measurement.

BR

Last edited:

Valid point.
But how do you measure inductance? Without impedance?

If the result shows 100% inductance - which in reality is imposiible - you don't care about series or parallel. The inductance value is the same for series and parallel.

But if the result not 100%, then there needs to be "something else" than inductance. Then you have complex impedance. Now it matters wheter parallel or series mode.

Klaus

Seems to me the original poster wants to learn when to use the "parallel" or the "series" measurement mode for an inductor probed by a LCR meter.

Text of an Amazon product (violet) says :

UT611/UT612LCR meter is a more advanced meter used to measure inductance, capacitance and resistance. Advanced features include series/parallel measurement modes, quality factor/loss/phase angle measurements, equivalent/DC resistance measurements and 5 kinds of measurement frequency in AC mode for selection. UT612 can be easily operated in production lines, component inspection and electronic maintenance.
( https://www.amazon.com/UNI-T-Interface-Measurement-Multimetro-Inductance/dp/B0B87ZHWRR )

It may be interpreted as measuring the inductance by probing two or more inductors connected in parallel ; or two or more inductors connected in series.
And adding, which (internal?) meter frequency to use and when for measurements available by the instrument should be selected.

Test frequency 100Hz/120Hz/1kHz/10kHz100kHz

Hi,

There´s nothing wrong with this Amazon text.
But generally I don´t recommend to learn from "advertising sites". They are often wrong, incomplete or at least rather "selling" focussed.

Instead I recommend to use semiconductor manufacturers, universities or professional sites.

I did not think about two inductors in series or parallel. Indeed the LCR meter will always see the resulting inductance and can not differ between the two inductors.

Usually
* "series mode" with LRC measurement means: L (C) and R in series.
* "parallel mode" with LRC measurement means: L (C) and R in parallel.
The meter just sees the voltage, current and the phase shift. And it needs the user information (ser/par) to calculate the correct L and R values.
(Because they differ in series and parallel mode)

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.