Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LCD help For Msp4302232

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainSpock

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I am currently working on my Final Year Project and i have some doubts which i hope you all can help me with. I am using MSP430 launchpad to drive a 4-bit LCD but i am not sure what codings i should use for the software. I am using M430G2232 IC and I am not sure which ports of the launchpad i should connect to the LCD too. Appreciate all help :)

Thank you,
Captain Spock

Any port would be fine. With launchpad you will need to bitbang the HD44780 protocol, since these MCUs don't have any kind of hardware parallel communication module. Read display driver specs and take a look at some code examples. Maybe you can get some library available on the net and port it to MSP?

and one more thing: you need 6 wires, not 4. 4 are only data bits, you also need R/W and Enable bits connected (plus power and gnd of course)

Hello!

You might be interested in using a serial (SPI) LCD. Advantages:
- You need only power, ground, clock, data in, chip select and data/cmd
(4 signal lines + power).

Dora.

Attachments

• LaunchPad.jpg
    LaunchPad.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 63
Hi guys, thanks for the help above :) Now i am able to get my LCD working and know which ports to connect to. However, does any one know of any LCD temperature sensor codes for MSP430 launchpad with MSP430g2232 IC? I tried many sample codes from the internet such as this ->https://sites.google.com/site/ranjitpuri/msp430_programs but everytime i complied there will be many errors which i do not understand.

Appreciate all help,
Captain Spock

You can find the code that was pre-programmed in the launchpad which used a thermometer

There is also a list of project **broken link removed**
There is one project involving temperature **broken link removed**

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.