Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Laser Engraver using CD/DVD writer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

:-)

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I like to experiment on CD/DVD writer.. Its very wild idea.. not sure will it work.

It would be interesting if images could be engraved on a piece of paper, using DVD/CD writer..
How much risk is involved.. will DVD/CD writer would blast ;) ..
if safe, i like to develop a basic drivers and an application to draw images.
what would be your thought

Thanks.

Thanks for resourceful link on lightscribe...this is pretty close..
It looks like printing labels on DVD disc. However i wish to make a application/setup that would enable us to engrave on paper using the laser that used to write data on CD/DVD. I was wondering if "pits and lands" are having resolution in order of microns, we should be able to engrave some nice images on a paper (we stick on writing side of DVD/CD). Provided if we could control the position and excitation of laser.

I once used a laptop which supports Lightscribe. It requires special brand CD disks. It creates a label by burning sensitive material embedded in the label side. I'm sure the laser needs to be stronger than a normal CD laser.

Does a normal CD laser have sufficient intensity to have any effect on paper? I doubt it because if it did, I think it would be known as a publicized fact after these years.

Nevertheless if you want to try it, on a sticky label (or by taping a circle of paper near the hub), be aware that if tape comes loose from the spinning disk, it is likely to stick somewhere inside the drive, and then it may be impossible to extract.

The type of paper likely to char is thermal paper, like cash register receipts.

I did a search on "can cd laser print thermal paper". Strangely there's no hits.

The type of paper likely to char is thermal paper, like cash register receipts.

That is true.. Laser might not be powerful enough to cut the white paper... However it might be possible to engrave (not cut) by prolonged exposure of laser. Black copy paper has been shown to work.. kindly check the link below... he has listed the materials that can be cut by DVD laser.
https://jenslabs.com/2013/12/16/what-can-you-cut-with-a-300mw-diy-laser-cutter/

If fine thin plastic sheet can be engraved then i would like to cut in size of DVD disk and stick above it to give a try..
overall i am ok with experimenting with different possible materials.. for engraving.
My concern now is do we have a control over position of laser on track through programs.
Thanks for reply sir.

Last edited:

Thanks for resourceful link on lightscribe...this is pretty close..
It looks like printing labels on DVD disc. However i wish to make a application/setup that would enable us to engrave on paper using the laser that used to write data on CD/DVD. I was wondering if "pits and lands" are having resolution in order of microns, we should be able to engrave some nice images on a paper (we stick on writing side of DVD/CD). Provided if we could control the position and excitation of laser.

Lasers with very special setup can be used to scribe, burn, etch, cut any material,
- develop film, mark Epoxy IC's, cut foam, plastic & metal, scribe back of iPad with personalized message, label or even cut parts,

Each requirement is unique and depends on the material, size.

What you describe can easily be performed by a laser printer, but does not work the way you intended. A laser printer use a photosensitive drum, LED or laser scanner, electrostatic processing & carbon transfer with high temp. fuser.

Start by defining all properties exactly and why a laser printer won't do it or why you think your method will work, given the power limitations of an LED laser.
This is essential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back