Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Large sig vs small sig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dummyeng

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In which conditions our large signal gain is more than small signal?

Is this a homework question?
It doesn't see to be an RF, Microwave, Antennas or Optics question.
No i ve seen it in one of my design
And it related to amp design
Means when i put input 0 dbm my gain is 14 but when i change my input to 30dbm my gain is 19

Last edited:

simulated or real?
You can get gain expansion if the gate bias is low. Increasing drive level causes gate current to flow in the device causing it to self bias at a higher current and so gain. I've never seen 5dB expansion, 1 or 2 maybe until the bias is set right, It looks like you may be biased closer to class C than you think.

Yes as FVM said, bias conditions.
Consider a class C amplifier, where you would have almost NO OUTPUT until the input power got big enough to self bias up the transistor.

other more unusual amplifiers, such as a regenerative amp, or a memory loop amp might also have nothing going on until a certain input power level is reached, and then suddenly start to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back