Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Jtag from usb port-which PCMICA parallel suit best

Status
Not open for further replies.

meemee2

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
jtag parallel port drivers

currently i have try to use a paralle Jtag cable to download my Spartan3 kit borad.
As usb is the only port.. i have try to use a port replicate paralle port to download the device.
But i always get a error...deveice not found problem

ANyone has the solution to this problem...or anywhere that i could get a usb jtag cable

jtag on docking station

I guess, you are using notebook, right? Your parallel port replicator is not suitable for FPGA loaders, because they use access to parallel port with special drivers. I would suggest to buy parallel port PCMCIA card or order Xilinx MultiLink cable - it has USB interface. Also, you can try to build your own USB JTAG cable, for example, with FTDI chip (in bit-bang mode) and adapt any free JTAG library, like my favorite from www.jtag.tk .

Good luck!

Ace-X.

fpga port replicator parallel jtag

i think the mulitlink cable from xilinx is too expensive.
Maybe will try the PCMCIA card
any recommandation on the PCMCIA card- online retailer or where i can get in singapore or australia

fpga parallel port ieee ebay

Quatech
Parallel PCMCIA Card 1-Port EPP
have anyone try this pcmica card?

usb to real parallel

have check the spec for the parallel port on the docking station, it IEEE 1284, bidirectional parallel interface.,
so what other problem could it be? or should i try the parallel cable4 from xilinx? or it the cable 3 not compliant?

ieee 1284 driver jtag

i have found out the problem with the usb docking station.
the parallel port ieee1284 is located at the usb device instead of the parallel port!
have try to download from Impact via usb ! but fail. so is there any way to change the parallel port of the docking station so that the cable can be detect by Impact or can impact have a maunnle setting for cable to detect the parallel port at the usb device manger?

will i get the same problem if i get a PCMCIA parallel port card? which again it might be detect in the PCMCIA device manger instead of the COM location>?

Re: Jtag from usb port

hello meemee2,
When you install the ISE software package, you should be prompted to inastall the parallel cabel drivers.
Are these drivers installed on your notebook..?
If I read carefuly , you have parallel port , right?

massive said:
hello meemee2,
When you install the ISE software package, you should be prompted to inastall the parallel cabel drivers.

He has USB docking station with parallel port (which can be accessed through the USB driver), but ISE drivers use direct access to parallel port with x86 commands in and out , so this port CAN'T be used with Parallel Download cable! This USB parallel port is OK only for printers, because they use system driver.

Once more: the only way on Notebook to get real parallel port is to buy PCMCIA card!

Ace-X.

what about those "really docking station " for the laptop?
As currently i m using a HP laptop.
The port replicator that HP offer is plug on the the base of the pc!
would this be better?
I also have check for a PcMCIA parallel port card?
currently i found one on ebay! Trans PC Card - Universal Parallel Port.
It cost about 49us dollar? wonder would this work? As i dont know the function of the port quite well? or the more expensive (100usd) one by Quatech's SPP-100- provides an IEEE-1284 parallel port -
so does the universal parallel port work well with the cable provided by the spartan 3 start kit?
Thanks for all the answer.....

To those who need ...a parallel port to download program via JtAG
Have just got a PCMCIA card from Trans Digital crop..
this card work..
it just earse off the default...programe..and now have to learn to programe

thanks
massive wrote:
hello meemee2,

He has USB docking station with parallel port (which can be accessed through the USB driver), but ISE drivers use direct access to parallel port with x86 commands in and out , so this port CAN'T be used with Parallel Download cable! This USB parallel port is OK only for printers, because they use system driver.

Once more: the only way on Notebook to get real parallel port is to buy PCMCIA card!

Ace-X.

Status
Not open for further replies.