Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ITU G.711 codec, for speech waveform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embedded c

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.. I am trying to design modem to sent speech signal, I used codec G.711 with bit rate 64 Kbps but I am confused do I need to use a compression ratio? And what is the best value for this ratio?

Thanks

Last edited:

Hi,

The term "compression" in this context does not refer to "data compression" intended to reduce volume of data, but with coding instantaneous values of the signal in order to manage a wide dynamic range.
The digitized values don't follow a linear relationship with the analog values. For example, the number representing an instantaneous value of 1V is not twice the the number representing an instantaneous value of 0.5V; it's smaller. Higher values are compressed according to a quasi-logarithmic function.
Regards

Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back