Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

issues of using NCP1010(current model regulator) after voltage dropping capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bro_T

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
in my AC/DC power supply circuit, I first use a voltage dropping capacitor to reduce incoming voltage. For the load stability, then I add the NCP1010(current model regulator) circuit as the 2nd level. Here is the findings:
1. Voltage dropping circuit itself is ok. Without the NCP1010 circuit it can get ~180v on the resistance(15K), ~2W.
2. But after adding the NCP1010 circuit, the voltage on the resistance(15k) is only ~50v. Accordingly the final output is far below the expected 5v. Total consume is <<2W.

Anyone could tell me what's the problem. Why I can' t get the final 5v with this circuit?
NPC.PNG

2. But after adding the NCP1010 circuit, the voltage on the resistance(15k) is only ~50v. Accordingly the final output is far below the expected 5v. Total consume is <<2W.

Output voltage drops, but not due to the device robbing power? Instead it causes a decrease in power? Not sure what to make of this.

The NCP1010 is a switching regulator IC. Did you rule out using a zener diode?

Just to see how this would work with 5.1 zener regulation...
A simulation showing suitable values to power a 51 ohm load. (Mains is 120 VAC.)

C1 needs to be 2.5 uF or more, to carry sufficient amperes.

thx. Why i use the NCP as the 2nd level, that is my loading is not fixed(0w-1w, 0-200ma) which may beyond the the zener capacity. and Also i need a isolated circuit. i use the RC voltage dropping to reduce the 2nd level input voltage which will bring me a smaller transforme.
i am just curious why with NCP, the power dropped so much.

thx BradtheRad. why i don't use the zener, that is my loading is not fixed swinging from 0 to 200mA. and also i need the isolate the AC and final output. the voltage dropping circuit could help for a smaller transformer.
i'm just curious why with the NCP, the power dropped so much.
thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back