Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[51] ISP problem in AT89C51RC2 and P89V51RD2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jignesh doshi

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I am using AT89C55WD Microcontroller in regular use but for easy programming purpose i have tried two different ISP based Microcontroller those are AT89C51RC2 and P89V51RD2.

But i am not getting success to program any one of both ICs in ISP mode.

When i tried to do with AT89C51RC2 with Flip Software of atmel at that time i got message "Timeout Error".

And when i tried to do with P89V51RD2 with Flash Magic Software at that time i received message " Reset the device into ISP mode now" but after that i received message "unable to communicate. Failed to autobaud.".

I have connect USB to serial converter between PC and My hardware.

Select proper Com port from manage device and select baud rate @9600.

So in these both case what i have to do to remove errors?

My hardware is working properly with AT89C55WD and serial communication is also working fine.

You had a post back in Dec. about the same problem. It sounds like none of the suggestions solved the problem.
The steps I find necessary with flip are.
1. select the device
2. select a communication medium, RS232
3. select the serial port
4. select the baud rate.
5. have the EA pin on the 89C51RD2 held high
6. have the PSEN pin held low
7. reset the 89C51ED2 while the two conditions above are met (reset is logic high on the reset pin, then back to low)
8. select connect in the flip dialog
9. If flip connects, the signature bytes are displayed if not it gives a timeout error

If these steps don't work it might be helpful to see a wiring diagram of the circuit you are using

Hey Fentrac,

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried to conncect us you shown, but i failed, same error shown in display.

I have attach my circuit diagram so please verify it and give me suggestion if anything is wrong or tell me what i have to do?.

View attachment 1.jpg

On the schematic, I don't see a pullup resistor on EA to bring it to a logic high.

On a MAX232 interface I use I had to loop DTR to DCD (pin 4 to 6) and RTS to CTS (pin 7 to 8)
on the cable coming from the computer to get it to work. This may depend on the serial port settings for the com port on the computer.

A couple of things to look at.

I have connect 5V to EA pin directly.
Why you have do connection like this in MAX232?

I made an error saying to loop back DTR to DCD. I should have said DTR to DSR.

The connections are on the DB9 serial connector. I'll attach a schematic. The host computer may be looking for "data set ready" and and " clear to send". These can be provided by looping "data terminal ready", and "request to send" back.

RS232toTTLsingle.jpg

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.