Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this rs232 waveform correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddosanjh

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am sending the byte 0xFF to the Proteus Virtual Terminal component. Both sides are configured to 9600 baud, 2 stop, no parity.

Here is the resulting wave:
pvt_err_waveform.GIF

As illustrated, the pulse width in the wave form is almost exactly consistent with 9600 baud.

Here are my Virtual Terminal settings:
pvt_err_settings.GIF

And here is the hex output:
pvt_err_term.GIF

Big thanks to anyone who can tell me why the wave form is not resulting in my expected '0xFF' output...

Btw, I get the same result when I send the signal through a MAX232 and invert polarity in the settings.

Are the waveform screenshot and hex terminal screenshot:
1. both taken from simulation, or
2. the waveform taken from simulation and terminal taken from real processor transmission?
if (2) is the case, then you need to use a scope to check the waveform.

my guess is that the transmitter somehow transmits at 4800 baud, so a receiver set to 9600 (the terminal), sees the "0" of the start bit as two bits: start bit, and the LSB of the data, which results as 0xFE.

(but maybe it's something else I didn't thing of...)

my guess is that the transmitter somehow transmits at 4800 baud
Yes. a plausible explanation. You may want to try different codes for clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.