Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is there certification that decides soft core fault tolerant

Status
Not open for further replies.

marco250483

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
soft core fault tolerant

Hi everybody, I've a question...

is there a certification or something that decides if a soft core is fault tolerant or not?

and another question...I've seen that LEON3-FT is radiation tolerant only implementd on RTAX Actel FPGA. Is it right?

Excuse me but I'm confusing about it becuase somebody speaks about LEON3-FT (fault tolerant) for space application where is better to say radiation toleran...mny doubts!!!!!

And, the last question...is there somebody that knows another soft core "radiation tolerant" (for space application)?

Many thanks in advance!!!!

Marco

Re: soft core fault tolerant

Dear!
Actel has several families that are radiation tolerant. I've used it in this kind of applications and it works very fine.

Cheers!!

Actel RT or RH FPGAs give you tolerance up to whatever levels of radiation they are qualified. They typically use older manufacturing techologies having larger transistors and Tripple Module Redundancy (TMR) by hardware.

Appart from using TMR, by means of hardware or included in your vhdl, for being fault tolerant, your design shall consider critical aspects as reset, safe state machines enconding, metastability, etc and when you get to the synthesis phase you need to control the synthetizer prohibiting for example flip flop replication

Certification is gained by test and evidences to the corresponding authority

The LEON3-FT is fault tolerant, which means that any register bit or RAM bit can flip without causing trouble. If you implement this in a technology that isn't radiation tolerant and put it in a high radiation environment, the number of flipped bits can become too large to be corrected. That would be stupid in a space application.

If you just want "fault tolerant" and not "radiation tolerant", you can implement LEON3-FT in any technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back