Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to use a fast RAM module withouth motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elektronman

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I mean, is it humanly possible to use a fast RAM module like DDR2 typically used for PCs properly plugged into a homebuild PCB?
I need a fast way to write some digital data coming from an input source of my circuit into the RAM, and then be able to read the content of it from another homemade circuit.
Is this possible? How can I do that?
And also, do exist fast RAM module with a minor number of pins then those used in PCs, just to improve ease of use when inserted into custom homemade circuit?
Thank you!

Of course it is possible. But, you need some fast logic to interface the memory modules. One way is FPGA connected to DDR2 module. You can visit the Xilinx.com and Altera.com and look under the Evaluation Kits and Boards. Practically, every board has DDR2 module, and you can look in the schematics the wiring stuff. In the case of FPGA you'll need a proper IP core.

Salud

Of course it is possible. But, you need some fast logic to interface the memory modules. One way is FPGA connected to DDR2 module. You can visit the Xilinx.com and Altera.com and look under the Evaluation Kits and Boards. Practically, every board has DDR2 module, and you can look in the schematics the wiring stuff. In the case of FPGA you'll need a proper IP core.

Salud

Thank you very much, do you think a Xilinx Spartan3 FPGA is enough for this?

And also, do exist fast RAM module with a minor number of pins then those used in PCs, just to improve ease of use when inserted into custom homemade circuit?
Recent PC memory modules are always 64 bit wide. You can use a single 16 bit wide DDR2 chip if you want lower pin count. But there are no 16 or 32 bit modules available today. Best suitable for instrument design are SODIMM DDR2 RAM dedicated to notebook computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back