Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to get full swing in simple cascode OPamp with single ended output

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrikant_joshi7

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi m designing a telescopic opamp with single ended output and the swing is only 600mV with a supply of +/- 500mV.The ac analysis shows a d.c gain of 52 db i.e.498.
I given an input of 10mV sinusoidal wave so the output should be 4.98V(as it is showing in ac analysis) i.e .the output should saturate to +/- 0.5 V and should show a square wave in the output.But the output is only -170mV to 400mV.
Why the positive and negative swings are different?
Plz help.

Attachments

• schematic HD.png
    schematic HD.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 92
  • gain and phase_simple cascode.png
    gain and phase_simple cascode.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 119
  • Vout and Vin 573 mV swing.png
    Vout and Vin 573 mV swing.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 83

Can't say I know how to get around it, but your results resemble the same characteristic of conventional op amps. Output will not go below 2V when the device is powered from a positive supply.

And when you hook up the device to a bipolar supply, output will not get any closer to the bottom level than 2 V above it.

It may have to do with the bottom resistor in the current mirror. It has a potential across it. This voltage is added to the output.

I didn't spot a resistor in your schematic, but perhaps you have a mosfet performing the same function as a resistor?

Hello shrikant,

No you can't have a large swing with a telescopic opamp.
You can either use another architecture (this might add a couple of hundreds mV), or if you really need a full output swing, you should use a rail-to-rail output stage.

When you have a negative swing the 3 lower transistors are the restricting factor (should be in saturation ~3Vdsat) in contrast to the upper two (~Vdsat) when you have a positive swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back