Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to do a complete latch based digital design for an ASIC ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Latch based design

Hi,

I don't see any issue with the latch timing. I agree that it is diffcult to sign off but is is just a matter of design style.
Latches gives big area and spped advantage over flip flops. Only they impose issue in during the DFT (testability of a chip).
As far as I know Primetime support latch based design since borrowing consept I have seen in it.
:D

Latch based design

interesting topic!
as i know, Ti has been using Latch-based or LSSD logic style for their full custom DSP (one old type).
I dont know how they do now.
IBM, another example, they still provide LSSD style design service, but in stage of logic synthesis, designer use only pseudo-cell, common FF, in Physical synthesis and DFT stage, the FFs will be replaced by corresponding LSSD cells.

Latch based design

Absolutely possible, but development time and timing analysis will be difficult. Further u cannot insert DFT in it. It will be completely untestable.
Sumit

Re: Latch based design for ASIC

There are some problems in DFT and STA of Latch based design.

Could somebody tell me about these problems?

Thanks

With Regards
cam

Re: Latch based design for ASIC

Latch is not totally dependent on clock..so we have not control ability of the latch...so whenever we don't have controllability, DFT insertion problem occur...

Re: Latch based design

RAMBO i think make latch based design...

- - - Updated - - -

sry its rambus :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back