Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it just me or is it tough to search here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euler's Identity

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For example, my latest attempt...

I'd like to know about snubber networks, from other's explanations, but the search function here is leading me nowhere. Did I just miss it?

...yes, I'd still like to understand snubber networks.

Added after 8 minutes:

I did find the topic once, but it was a large cut-n-paste mostly. (Might as well give me a link and leave.)

What I'm interested in is an explanation for how a snubber works.

I think that the problem is that there are few or no posts on such networks.

You have three basic choices some which may not work in your situation.

1. A diode that directs the excess power to the power supply.

2. A hard clamping device such as zener diodes or varistor that converts the excess power to heat.

3. An RC network which, in conjunction with the circuit inductance, forms a critically damped resonant circuit. This is frequently used on relay coils.

Odd...

I'd think, based on the posts I've seen, that this forum is largely used by school students, mostly studying electrical engineering.

Are they not teachng about snubbers in school? The way I understand it, the snubber is a crucial piece to protection in some way. Is my info bad?

Incidentally, I'm not talking about a kickback diode but, rather, a Z network across a coil, as I've seen it.

Added after 8 minutes:

flatulent said:
I think that the problem is that there are few or no posts on such networks.

You have three basic choices some which may not work in your situation.

1. A diode that directs the excess power to the power supply.

2. A hard clamping device such as zener diodes or varistor that converts the excess power to heat.

3. An RC network which, in conjunction with the circuit inductance, forms a critically damped resonant circuit. This is frequently used on relay coils.

Aha! It's about resonance, an R, L, and C! And it's designed for critical damping vs over or under damping.

So if the snubber were across the input of a transformer, we'd be trying to resonate at what frequency, the input frequency? So it'd be a hgh Z to incoming frequency, for example, to a 60Hz power line??

If that's the case, it sounds like a tuned RF transformer, like would be seen coupling stages in an RF amp.

Any where close??? In the ball park???

On a transformer the situation is different than a relay coil. The transformer has constant AC and the RC snubber network will consume power. In this case the varistor is the best choice. MOV is the name of a commonly used device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back