Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is a phasor a vector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powersys

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
A vector, as what I know, is a quantity that has magnitude and direction.

Is a phasor considered as a vector?

Thanks.

Phasor = Phase Vector
--
Amr Ali

powersys

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
powersys said:
A vector, as what I know, is a quantity that has magnitude and direction.
Is a phasor considered as a vector?
Thanks.

A phasor (phase vector) is a vector which rotates with the angle velocity ω. It is an abbreviation of exp(jωt).

powersys

Thanks for your replies. If phasor is a vector, then pls help me in the following thread...

Generally, I think it is important to know the definitions of technical terms and to use them properly. However, perhaps in this case it is not too important if a rotating "object" which is a pure mathematical quantity having a constant magnitude and a changing phase (proportional to time) is called "vector" or "phasor".
As already mentioned, the inventor of the name "phasor" did consider this rotating object as a kind of vector. Other authors restrict the term "vector" to purely geometric objects.
For my opinion, more important is to know what this quantity means and how it is used in system theory.

powersys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back