Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR2110 burnt when connect the capacitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pranay.upadhyay

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ir2110

Hello All,

I am using the IR2110 for driving the 325 Watt BLDC Motor.
Motor runs properly without load, but when we are giving the load then after some extent of load only low side of mosfets damaged.

We are giving the 48 V power supply to Mosfets Drain and 15V to Vcc and 3.3 to Vdd of IR2110.

IS it any problem wiyh Cgd or Cgs.
I am using the P75NF75 mosfets.

ir2110 application

As a first comment, according to my experiences with IR2010 (which is very similar to 2110 in most regards), I would suggest to use a Vdd of 5.0V, mainly to achieve stable swiching delays. The problem can be seen from the datasheets, although the real chip seems to behave worse in my opinion.

But I don't expect the said issue to cause FET damage. Basically, you should be able to identify all problems by investigating the circuit waveforms.

ir2110 application note

`Hello,

Thanks for your reply.
I tried with 5V Vdd but it does not switch properly.
Some time also damaged the IR2110.
Is it issue for Bootstrap Capacitor , Rg(On) and Rg(off) value ?

I am testing the circuit on General Purpose Board.

I am using the Bootstrap Capacitor , Rg(On) and Rg(off) value more than Theoretical Calculation.

Is Rg(off) is more crucial and we can not use more than calculated value, as written in some application note.

-Thanks & Regars,
Pranay Upadhyay

ir2010 calculations

Hi,
You shouldn't be using ron and roff more than calculated. Why are there two resistors? There should only be an rg and connect a signal diode across it in anti-parallel mode (such as 1N4148 acros the resistor connect anti-parallelly). The diode is the turnoff current flow path, so you need not give an roff rather a diode for quick gate discharge. Regular value for rg is in the range of 10-47 ohm.
Always use larger bootstrap capacitors than formulated. What value are you using?
At 50Hz, I use 22uF.
Hope I could help.

ir2110 schematic board

Hello Sir,

Thanks for Reply.

I am using IR2110 for Three Phase BLDC motor Driving.
As in Some application note they told about Rg_ON and Rg_OFF.

My Calculated Rg_ON = 12E and for Rg_OFF = 1E.

Earlier I was using Rg_OFF = 4.7 E, Now I have changed it into 1.2 E.

I am also using 22uF Bootstrap Capacitor and for PWM frequency is 16 KHz.

As I am using GP Board for Testing Below 50E Rg_ON, giving the problem in switching of Mosfets also with Resistive Load.

-Thanks & Regards
Pranay

internal circuit of ir2110

Hi

You use protection diode (in series) for each resistor, right? Do you have any schematic of your application?

it is interesting you only see failures on low side.

ir2110 bldc

Hello Sir,

Thanks for your reply.
After changing the Rg_off resistor from 4.7E to 1 E , I am able to drive the motor , with load.
Also we have change the Cdrive capacitor form .33 uF to 22 uF.

Thanks for your support.

-Thanks & Regards,
Pranay

ir2110 calculation

Do you use catch diodes on power mosfets? I mean between D and S. No matter that power MOS got his own parasitic body diode.

ir2110 appliction note

Hello,

I am not using any diode between D and S.
I am using the P75NF75, which have Internal Diode.

Also for protection of MOSFETs I am using the Parallel Mosfet, Which can carrry more Current.

-Regards,
Pranay

what is the vcc supply for ir2110

But point is whether the parallel MOS or body diode is fast enough to catch these spikes. Body diode shouldnt be fast enough.

ir2110 switching

Hello,

If we use High Current and voltage rating Mosfet like P75NF75 then we will be able to drive that High Spikes.

As we found parallel connection is enough for controlling the MOSFET from Spikes.

If you have any other option then please guide me.

-Thanks & Regards,
Pranay Upadhyay

dead time ir2110 bldc

Hello All,

I am able to drive the motor but some time it gives problem and 15A fuses blows.
I am observing that when we are giving the 15V Power supply then we are also getting almost 5V at the pin where we are connecting the 48V power supply for MOSFETS. Then when we give the 48 V power suplly and try to run the motor then fuses blows.

Please reply.I am attaching the schematicfor gate drive.

-Regards,
Pranay

bootstrap diode calculation ir2110

Your drive circuit seems fine.
DC motors take a huge inrush current during startup, maybe that's why your fuse blows. To limit this inrush current connect an inductor at the input (I guess somewhere around 470uH-1mH would do fine).
Good luck.

teste bootstrap ir2010

Thanks Tahmid

If we use the Inductor in series of Power Supply, Is it not create any problem or effect on performance When Motor is at running stage?

One question I ask, Please tell me Is this circuit work properly on General Purpose Board.

ir2110 pins describe

Hello all,

As we have disussed in this forum till now.Every thing is fine but, Now I am facing new problem.

When I am giving the 15V power supply to the Vb pin of IR2110 then, I am getting approx 10 V to the Vs pin.

I think Vs pin must be ground.
When we connect one resistance between Vs pin and COM then voltage level decreases.

Please guide how can resolve it ?

In my previous mail I have submitted the Scematic.

where do you get the 15v dc for vcc ir2110

1. Add the 15K resistor between GATE and Source terminal of the MOSFET. This will prevent the MOSFET going into floating condition. It is a Pull-down.
2. Decrease the GATE resistance to 33R value. So that the turn-On time will be increased to some extent.
3. Check the dead time in your code.
4. Check the hall pulses w.r. t. your output. If there phase difference happened in hall sensor and the output switching, it will drive to wrong commutation and MOSFETs will be overheated and eventually fails.
5. Also there should be pull-up/pull-down at HIN and LIN pin according to your switching logic.

--- Nandu

mosfets to use with ir2110

Hello Sir,

I observed that Some offset voltage is coming on VS pin of IR2110.
After manually discharging of Vs pin by shorting the 15V Vcc and Gnd . This offset voltage disappeared and again appeared after 2-3 minutes.

We have tested that after discharging the Vs pin when we starts the motor then there is no jerk in motor.
But jerk comes after giving load.
During jerks We observed that HO going low, when jerks come.

When e increase the value of Cboot capacitor then jerks become very less.

Our theoretically calculated value is 3 uF but I am using 33 uF.

I am thinking that due to offset voltage on Vs pin , the bootstarp capacitor do not charge or discharge properly.

How can remove the offset voltage on Vs pin.

This voltage increase continuously after giving the 15v power supply upto 5v and after some test this voltage increses upto 10V.

-Regards,
Pranay

Status
Not open for further replies.