Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inverting Amplifier is clipping the output signal - Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemical25

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am working out a way to invert & amplify a signal output from a photomultiplier tube. The signal output is varying negative pulses from 0v to -1v.

I would like to invert that signal & amplify it x10 for later reading with an ADC. I thought it would be a simple inverting amplifier circuit with an OpAmp, but I cannot seem to get it to perform correctly.

With my circuit, while the signal is inverted and the pulses seem to be amplified, the peaks are "flat-topped" and won't go above ~300mv (see Figure 1). I originally thought it was an issue with the slew rate/bandwidth of the OpAmp I was using, so I just received some ultra-fast LM7171 OpAmps (datasheet linked below), yet I am still seeing similar behavior.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I am new to the finer aspects of analog design, as I am usually working on digital circuits - I have seen some notes on "input capacitance" and "input impedance," but I do not know if those are the root of my issue... or how to determine "impedance matching" with the output of my photomultiplier tube.

References:

**broken link removed**

2uz2rgp.png

My schematic

vg39sw.jpg

Figure 1: The output of the OpAmp on my oscilloscope
-- Top Trace: The signal output from the photomultiplier tube that I am trying to invert & amplify
-- Middle Trace: The expanded trace of the output from my OpAmp circuit - **Note the flat top... all large peaks seem to be clipped in similar fashion at ~300mv
-- Bottom Trace: The output from my OpAmp circuit

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Last edited:

Many informations are missing:
- any load resistor at the photomultiplier or open (current source) output?
- original PM signal waveform
- oscilloscope timebase setting
- oscilloscope connection: high impedance (1M/10M?) probe? coax cable? length? oscilloscope input impedance?

I would have expected a PMT output to be a current pulse but anyway, what is the PMT pulse width? Also, what is the timebase of the oscilloscope traces?

Keith

- The signal used from the photomultiplier is just a BNC socket, which I have split two wires off of - signal is fed through the 1k resistor to the OpAmp, and ground of the signal from the PMT is tied to the supply ground of the circuit.
- Sample PM signal waveform below (See Figure 2)
- 1M probes are attached to PM signal and OpAmp output

Interesting: So, I just hooked a BNC cable from the signal output of the PMT, rather than using the BNC pigtail I made with a 1M probe (signal ground tied to circuit/OpAmp supply ground)... and the peaks are much larger... 0 to -12v now... so what does that mean? the 1M probe showing a much smaller amplitude... Again, this impedence/fragile signal stuff is new to me... I just need to get the signal amplified so I can read it with an ADC.

2ikte2c.jpg

Figure 2: One of the pulses from the photomultiplier tube **using a BNC cable directly off of the signal output... no 1M probe, as used before
Details:
Pulse width: 157us
Pulse amplitude: -10.28v

I am not sure if this applies to your case especially since your circuit already has an opamp, but one time faced this signal distortion problem was when I was trying to read some microAmpere current directly with a probe... adding an opamp buffer solved my problem (its simply a negative feedback amplifier with unity gain AFAIR)

What is the model of the PMT? It looks like the output could be a current not a voltage.

Keith

You're right - the output of the PMT appears to be a current output, but I believe I am using the OpAmp as a current to voltage converter...

Can anyone help by putting together a simple circuit layout of what should work for me on how to convert the current output of the PMT to 0-5v positive pulses? I am guessing some sort of buffer circuit/inverting amplifier, using some sort of load resistor? Should there be capacitors involved?

Note that when I plug the signal BNC cable directly into my scope I get 0 to -12v pulses, with it on 1M DC coupling...

For the PMT I am using - I am actually using a gamma scintillator probe which has a single BNC cable for the HV supply & signal... here is the circuit I am using to split the signal out of that line from the HV:

2zs1quc.jpg

The measurements you told sor far seem to be inconsistent, it's hard to guess from a distance what's right or wrong. And obviously, there's a lack of understanding how to operate a PMT.

To get high speed signals from a PMT, it has to be loaded by a low load impedance. In contrast, in post #4, you see the PMT current pulse integrated at the cable + oscilloscope input capacitance. It would be more reasonable to switch the oscilloscope to 50 ohm input impedance to see the true waveform.

I have no explanation, why the OP output voltage seems to saturate at 300 mV. As a first point, I would check the probe attenuation, I wonder if the are really 1 Mohm (and 1:1 attenuation). The oscilloscope should have a calibrator output for test.

It may be the case, that the OP has been damaged by input overload, LM7171 is specified with maximum 10 V differential input voltage. Protection diodes may be needed for it when connecting sources like a PMT.

I also suggest to test the amplifier with a signal generator before connecting the PMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back