Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Intuitively Analog Circuit Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomph

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
Can someones in the forum please share your own experiences of how you learn analog
circuit, intuitively.
For example, when looking at CB ,/CG / ... or cadcade MOS amplifier you can tell Ro,Ri, Gm.....or Thevenin, Norton equivalent networks without lengthy formulars and calculations.

Thank you very much.
tomp

Intuition means getting a feel for the component, so if you can get a strong feel for the basic stages, you will be able to solve bigger circuits intuitively. To get a feel, I suggest doing many parametric simulations on the basic circuits and look at the graphs. Like maybe how does gm vary with Vgs and why it varies so, maybe for changing Vds. Basic Id-Vds curves, Id vs Vgs curves, Capacitance variations with Width, etc. Do these for single MOS devices, then do simulations for basic stages and try to identify the regions in the MOS curves. they are operating. Slowly you will be able to do this in your head and then you will get a feel of how currents, voltages, transconductances of each of the devices is varying when the signal moves through a circuit, and what factors could possibly be influencing them.

This is a concept that can be grabbed by reading lots of analog materials and solving problems. Yes some book may give more intitutive design ability like rasavis' book. But this is not a matter of a few days. You must work on the field for some years.

There is no shortcut, experience in application and regular practice is the key.

start with the basic circuits and try analyzing the different characteristics like gm, id, etc. for each stage. we can pretty much break down bigger circuits in a way that could resemble the various "basic" circuits and thus can intuitively suggest various parameters. needs some practise but not too hard to grasp.

Thanks all of you for the suggestions. By the way,I 've been using Razavi book I really like
the ways how to analyze the circuits, very intuitive. I'm not sure there 're other books or
wesites teaching about analog design like Razavi 's book.Thanks again
Tomph.

Status
Not open for further replies.