Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Internal case cable/wire fasteners/clamps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobAinscough

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was wondering what is a common method to secure wires within a case/cabinet.

I was looking at some R-Type Cable Clamps here. But I would need to use bolts fed in from outside of case with nuts, don't want sharp screw tips sticking out the back of my case.

Also considered these zip tie adhesive mounts here. But concerned that the adhesive isn't strong/durable enough.

I don't want to use my glue gun, as I've seen far too many wires come loose from glue gun applications.

Any thoughts on reliable ways to secure wires in a case and keep it clean and professional looking?

Cheers, Rob.

if i assume you have several wires to secure, and that they go around your box,
then you can zip tie them together like a cable harness
or something like this:

once you secure many wires into a cable, they'll support themselves

the R clamps you noted can be used with pem studs,

and the nut holding it in place can be a cap nut, so no sharp points

In the late '70's at Bristol Aerospace, they used a waxed nylon thicker than some dental floss and stronger of course, to weave a pattern around wire bundles. I think this was also used on CFA aircraft that were maintained in the building next to our R&D. I suspect there is a fundamental learning skill there. There are also various size plastic coils to wrap around wires of many lengths and diameters. These are quick but not so pretty.

I have some sleeves for the wires, just need a solid clamp for them. McMaster's push fit nuts is a great suggestion, but if I'm going to drill a hole then I may as well just do the loop and flat head bolt approach.

Thanks for all the suggestion, much appreciate!

Cheers, Rob.

McMaster's push fit nuts is a great suggestion, but if I'm going to drill a hole then I may as well just do the loop and flat head bolt approach.

if i understand what you intend, instead of the pem nuts, you're going to drill a countersunk hole for a flat head screw, with washers and nuts on the inside.
not being a mechanical engineer, and not knowing the thickness of your box, i think the pem nut works better, the drill hole
is easier, and you still get a flat outside.

Correct ... case material thickness is 1.03mm ... concerned that is not enough material for press nut teeth to grip case. My other concern is the tool needed to insert those press nuts costs $572.

Cheers, Rob.

Could you not put in short self-tapping screws thru drilled holes from the outside to hold the plastic fasteners on the inside? Checkout some automotive solutions, or better aircraft solutions

Beware that bundle wires creates crosstalk from LdI/dt & CdV/dt coupling.

Excellent aircraft solutions article, very informative ... especially in regards to crosstalk. I don't think I need to worry about crosstalk but even if I did, I sadly don't have a $83,000 Scope to check (my Siglent SDS 1104X-E isn't capable). I will be working with PWM so I'll try to keep separation ... but that's about the best I can do ... maybe add some shielding if I see some odd signals.

Cheers, Rob.

I believe, a press-in stud would best fit your requirements. It can be even mounted in prototype production by "pull-in" with a hardened nut, but for perfect flush mount, you need a press tool.

1632477563148.png

Thanks for the alternate suggestion. Yes, a Press would be a problem based on the shape of the case they would need to be pressed into.

I'm probably just going to use a rounded head hex bolt & nut (now screw) with appropriate size hole and these R-Type clip cable fasteners:

Cheers, Rob.

A sponge-foam block could be sufficient to hold wire bundles so they don't flop around inside a briefcase-sized enclosure. Cheap, simple, no drilling. Anti-static quality may be a consideration. Deteriorates over time depending on formulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back