Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Interfacing microphone line (6.9V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

player80

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a microphone line on an old intercom (which when disconnected is at around 10V, once the microphone is attached the signal drops to 6.9V). I can pull it to 6.9V with 650Ohm manually.

I have managed to get the receiving audio to a level which I can sample via ADC, but could anyone give me a hint how I could put audio onto a 6.9V line?
A simple DC bias doesn't work in that case..

I'd think about eg. pwm via resistor and mosfet attached to the dc-line? Any better idea?

Last edited:

An electret microphone has a Jfet inside it that must be powered with about 0.4mA. I power it with a 10k resistor from a filtered 9V. You can replace the microphone with low level audio through a series coupling capacitor to the amplifier input.

It's not using an electret microphone. it's an analog system with traditional analog microphone. I did some experiments with ltspice and seems like I can match it somehow, I just never used PWM for audio before (I'll have a look at that tomorrow).
The cable comes from the wall (aside of a ground line) and has 10V as mentioned with a relatively high impedance, 6.x volt once the analog microphone is attached.

So far I still think the PWM Audio way is the way to go.

What kind of a microphone is "traditional"? A dynamic microphone is old but it never has a DC current in it.
A carbon mic is also old and needs DC current but it has the horrible sound of an old telephone.

Many years ago I worked with Pamex huge intercom systems. Its mics were electret and the main controller used PAM (Pulse Amplitude Modulation which is similar to PWM) so that one inside line used 8 channels at the same time selected by "ulrasound time slots".

Modern Class-D audio power amplifiers use PWM.

What kind of a microphone is "traditional"? A dynamic microphone is old but it never has a DC current in it.
A carbon mic is also old and needs DC current but it has the horrible sound of an old telephone.

Traditional = old, outdated (in my terminology).
It could be such a carbon mic indeed, the quality sounds terrible too yes and the company does not exist anymore either.
I disassembled a dead microphone once but not sure where the parts are anymore.
The audio path is carried on top of the 6.9V with a little swing only (+/-500mA for a rough average when talking, I did not scream into the mic for testing).

Many years ago I worked with Pamex huge intercom systems. Its mics were electret and the main controller used PAM (Pulse Amplitude Modulation which is similar to PWM) so that one inside line used 8 channels at the same time selected by "ulrasound time slots".

Modern Class-D audio power amplifiers use PWM.

It would be interesting if I could get a better quality onto the line than the original system.

Status
Not open for further replies.