Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing LCD with PLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

pakiboy

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to interface mini LCD ( 16 X 2 Hitachi ) with PLC ( particularly Siemens S7-200 CPU 314 IFM ) & want to display counter values.

I want to ask, on which Port LCD is suppoed to interface i.e on Digial I/O or RS232?

what sort of settings/programming it require to display values on LCD??

I would be very thank ful if any 1 help me in this regard and would appreciate if give any additional informaion to me as i m beginner in this field.

It may be possible to connect the CPU to LCD using 6 transistor (4 data lines and 2 control lines) output line with voltage divider for 5 volts at the LCD side. For LCD control you can check the datasheet of the LCD family from the producer. There, it is explain how to put out the data on the lines, toggle the 2 control lines, timings etc. Take care on the initialisation routine after power up of the LCD. It's important to be done correctly.
For writing PLC function blocks, where you will implement the control of the LCD, I recomend to chose STL, but if you have just a beginner training, will not be quite a trivial task. One of the main problem will be to keep correct timing on the LCD lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.