Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Instrumentation amplifier configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

nabla101

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I want to use an instrumentation amplifier as the first stage of an ultrasonic reciever circuit.

I noticed there are two ways instrumentation amplifiers are used:
-With the REF pin tied to ground, and one pin of the sensor tied to ground
-With the sensor connected across the instrumentation amplifier inputs, and the REF pin supplied with bias voltage (e.g. half the supply).

I was wondering what is the difference between the two, and when would one be used over the other?

Thanks

Firstly, if you don't need a differential signal amplification, why using an instrumentation amplifier?

Secondly, important points to consider are:
- single or dual supply voltage
- input bias method
- intended output bias level
Knowing the answer to this questions, you'll easily find out the right connection.

Firstly, if you don't need a differential signal amplification, why using an instrumentation amplifier?

Secondly, important points to consider are:
- single or dual supply voltage
- input bias method
- intended output bias level
Knowing the answer to this questions, you'll easily find out the right connection.

Hi, I want to detect a pulse on the sensor, so I would pass the output of the amp through a filter, an envelope detector, and then to a comparator, to give me a digital pulse when an ultrasonic pulse is received in the passband of the filter.

I have been told that if I use a fully integrated instrumentation amplifier, and tie an input to ground (Making the transducer signal single-ended), then I can acheive much better performance in terms of SNR than with using discreet op-amps and/or transistor amplifiers.

Also, an instrumentation amplifier is gain-programmable with a single resistor, and I want to be able to easily vary the value of the gain using this resitance.

I guess in answer to my oiwn question, I am just trying to measure the voltage across the transducer, so if one transducer terminal is grounded, I have a single-ended output, and so I could use gnd for the IA REF pin, and the other IA input.

edit: I'm just unsure about whether I could do this, or whether I would need a bias voltage on the IA?

With single supply (you didn't actually tell, I just presume), inputs as well as reference need to be biased to mid supply or similar.

Assuming a capacitive sensor (you also didn't tell) input bias resistors are required.

Also, an instrumentation amplifier is gain-programmable with a single resistor, and I want to be able to easily vary the value of the gain using this resitance.
Single resistor gain programming is also implemented with an inverting or non-inverting OP configuration.

I have been told that if I use a fully integrated instrumentation amplifier, and tie an input to ground (Making the transducer signal single-ended), then I can acheive much better performance in terms of SNR than with using discreet op-amps and/or transistor amplifiers.
The sensor connection will hardly affect amplifier SNR. Technically, a basic transistor amplifier promises the best SNR ratio, also over OPs, except for very low frequencies where thermal fluctuations are a dominant noise source. It should be added, that although the differential input stage adds 3 dB of noise, the drawback is often compensated by using low noise transistors and optimal bias circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.