Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inductor Coil in switching DC-DC converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunturikishore

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dc dc converter inductor

I was trying to design a switching DC-DC converter and I face an initial current of more than 2 A through the inductor coil in the simulation. Though this is for a very short time of 30 usec and very rapidly decreases to 0.25 mA at 50 usec after 30 usec peak value. I doubt whether that current spoils the coil. I tried to go through the specification sheets of some famous coils vendors like MURATA but the absolute maximum current is not specified clearly though they specified DC maximum current for temperature rise and Inductor value change.

Can anybody help me in this case??

inductor coil

What type of smps is this? What inductor ? Transformer primary or filter choke?

inductor dc converter

current in an inductor can not change so fast unless the votlage across it is huge. i suggest u check ur simulation again and monitor the votlage across it. by the way, what is the value of your inductor

coil dc dc converter

That is why almost all DCDCs have a soft-start circuit.
Maybe you should focus on the power MOS, cause most inductor can survival the big current which maintains very short time. However, the MOS may down by a big Vds when the inductor saturation.

Status
Not open for further replies.