Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Impulse response problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagsee1972

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,
I am stuck on how an impulse response for an input consisting of a sum of sine waves is determined. I cannot seem to make any sense of it. The example I was looking at was from youtube presentations Rose-Hullman.

An input is given as: x[n]=-2+ 3cos((
mimetex.cgi
)n+10cos((3
mimetex.cgi
/4)n-
mimetex.cgi
/5)

The impulse response for this input is just given, dont know its worked out.

h[n]=
mimetex.cgi
+2
mimetex.cgi
[n-1]+3
mimetex.cgi
[n-2].

I was under the impression the impulse response can be determined by applying a delta function to the input for example:

x[n]=
mimetex.cgi
mimetex.cgi

Then the impulse response is
x[n]=
mimetex.cgi
mimetex.cgi

and therefore:

mimetex.cgi
mimetex.cgi
[n]+
mimetex.cgi
mimetex.cgi
[n-1]......
mimetex.cgi
[n-M]

Would appreciate any advice or pointers.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is not my field of expertise, but...

The way I remember it, the impulse response of a system is, as you said, the output that results from an impulse input. (Thus, the name, "impulse response" !)

I don't know how you can talk about the "impulse response" of a particular input signal. That's like asking 'what's the frequency response of this signal?'

Barry, Thanks for your reply. I dont know how the impulse response was determined for the particular function.

Jag.

Maybe you've misread (or mis-posted) the question. I could understand if the question was: Here's the impulse response of the circuit, and we apply this input signal; what is the output?

Barry,
Thanks for the reply, I think that there is a fundamental problem with my understanding. I thought that the impulse response and the input were intimately linked. That is the impulse response can always be determined from the input as it is the input applied to a delta function.

- - - Updated - - -

Barry,
I think I may have made a crucial error as the impulse response in my example has not been derived from the x[n] shown. The way h[n] has been derived is not shown.

The impulse response is, by definition, the response of the system to an impulse input. That's it.

So I think the problem is as I stated it in post #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back