Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

important tips in microcontroller programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

adyLed

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am new in microcontroller programming.,and i really don't have idea what and what should not's in handling microcontroller.,any1 willing to explain the basic important things i should know about PIC so i could have any idea how to start.,:idea:

Download PIC tutorials from Microchip Technology Inc. is a Leading Provider of Microcontroller and Analog Semiconductors, providing low-risk product development, lower total system cost and faster time to market for thousands of diverse customer applications worldwide. or The PIC Tutorial - PIC Microcontroller 16f84 & 16c84 understand about them starting any project.
you should be good in analysis and trouble shooting source code.... analyse it and be able to trace the code..
a very good programming skills is important....

with respect to hardware, never insert or remove IC when if it powered on. or short any pins when powered ON.
dont give overvoltage than the rating..

best way to learn programming microcontrollers is to write programs - get a low cost development board such as Microchip's microstick
**broken link removed**
lots of free software and it has a header than enbles one to plug it into a breadboard for your own experiments.
We find it a good platform for student projects (hardware and/or software).

best way to learn programming microcontrollers is to write programs - get a low cost development board such as Microchip's microstick
Microstick for dsPIC33F and PIC24H Development Board[/url]

maybe its too much to ask for a begineer to work on dspic33f and PIC24H, even before he has good hold on the subject.
Instead he ca start on lower PIC version to get hold of basics and sound knowledge on PIC as sea dolphine too suggested some good reference to start with.....

The best microchip to start with is a PIC16F54, its so simple to understand and program.

learn from PIC16F84. its universally used for beginners. try to learn from the basic. setup the microcontroller, setup i/o port, reading input signals (such as push buttons), fire output signals (using LED), etc..
then slowly start to develop something more challenging such as using using 7 segment, LCD..
next, try to learn the PIC internal module such as handling the ADC, Serial Comm, EPROM, etc..
hope you'll be the master one day
:D

i am new in microcontroller programming....any1 willing to explain the basic important things...

My opinion is that you must read some entire PIC16Fxxx.pdf datasheet.
This family is ideal to begginers.

Also, starts with assembly, not with C programming.
This way, you will learn more detailed the behaviour of each register.

+++

tnx for all the info guys.,i'd never expected i'd got this much help from you guys since this is my first post in edaboard.,tnx a lot.,and by the way i have questions.,

i'd made a program that set trisA,B,C and D as output.,by the way am using 16F877.,and also i declared portA,B,C and D to 0xff.,and i connect LEDs to all the ports.,all the LEDs are supposed to be high,isn't it???but it isn't working as i expected it to be.,for example the results in portB is %10000111 where it is supposed to be %11111111???and by the way i am using a simulator in doing this.,not yet the actual circuit.,any suggestions,comments or advice???

dont use short hand typing or sms kind of language in the forum

Last edited by a moderator:

could u please post here ur programming code..
so we can discuss and learn together :D

Status
Not open for further replies.