Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

impedance matching transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

masudasim

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

I have a QSC audio amplifier (RMX 4050HD) and an acoustic transducer having input impedance of approx 180 oham at resonant frequency. QSC amplifier can provide about 2000 watt to 2 oham load (speaker) . If i directly connect transducer to amplifier, i only get 50-60 watt output. I require atleast 600-700 watt power so i need a matching transformer (probably step-up transformer) b/w transducer and amplifier.

Can any one kindly suggest charecteristic parameters (e.g. winding ,core , insulation etc) of transformer most suitable for my application?
Is there any software availavle for design of such transformers?Most software available on net are for RF matching transformers

Note:My operational frequency band is about 3-5 KHz

Best Regards

You'll get the fourfold output power by operating the amplifier in bridge instead of parallel mono mode. For higher power, a step-up transformer is required. You can e.g. dimension the transformer for a minimal frequency of 1 kHz, resulting in a factor 20 reduction of windings count compared to 50 Hz and respectively higher power with a small core. According to the high output voltage of the transfomer, a layer insulation is suggested. For audio applications, tranformer calculation is basically similar to a low frequency (mains) transformers, there have been various contributions at edaboard related to it, see e.g. https://www.edaboard.com/threads/214708/

Thanks for your helρ. As i have to oρerate two transducers from single ρoweramlifier, i have to use it in parallel mono mode.

>>dimension the transformer for a minimal frequency of 1 kHz, resulting in a factor 20 reduction of
>>windings count compared to 50 Hz and respectively higher power with a small core

Can you kindly exρlain the relation bw winding count and frequency and also with core size

Best Regards

The relation between winding count, frequency and core cross section is set by the maximum flux for a given magnetic material. Windings per volt is inversely proportional to frequency and cross section. Increasing losses demand a slightly lower flux at higher frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.