Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Identify objects in the soil

Status
Not open for further replies.

meysam_abbasinia

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I project plans identify objects under the soil I, the objects can be metal or plastic are like pipes, gas electricity cables and telephone in the basement are. To a depth of 2 meters need to have a diagnosis. How do I do this? For example, the radar can be used?
Thank you good tips

I doubt that there is an universal solution. Metal detectors are perfect for metal objects, also metal pipes. Power supply
cables can be selectively detected with AC magnetic field detectors, other cables when you have the opportunity to connect
a pilot signal to it. For larger plastic or concrete pipes, a soil radar may be a solution, but it's not selective. Due to it's
VHF to UHF operating frequency, it has only poor resolution.

Some people prefer divining rods, but they only work for you, when you believe in it.:D

I designed this system for a ground robot digger to use sewage pipe placement. We need to know what physical 2 meters ahead not even know there are plastic or metal pipes! Therefore, the ability to identify with any pipes to have sex. To get a good idea seems very hard please help me ... Thanks!

Said that you can not correct a system to recognize all of them for identifying electrical cables and metal crushed Lou solution is clear plastic tube but what should we do?

hi brother,

My friend I ask you the idea that the scale told more detailed explanation. Or circuit, or more information let me provide a solution that I can not find suitable. This radar is able to detect plastic objects?
Please give me complete information

Are you sure that this type of radar detection is suitable for plastic pipe?

meysam_abbasinia said:
Are you sure that this type of radar detection is suitable for plastic pipe?
Do some research on your own - there's lot's of published information as well as commercially available products

Hi all,
I had some time ago some IEEE books over UWB Antenna Designs, but as "side effect" I remember, that lot of script are for diverse Soil Radars & for cancer + land mines detections too.
In all cases they are nowadays still in research phase...
K.

hi again

i study about GPR and I find out that this kind of radars Ineed for my project,
now I want to ask can we build it? I want to know is that the schematic of the
please visit this page : **broken link removed**

Hallo,
I think, that these isnt a them/subject for 2-3 persons:-((
In my opinion its not a question of equipments, but their are not uninterested & easy to build, but more a question of SW & Gephisical knoledges & Models.....
Other question is the usable frequency (or better band), then I found these sentences:
Wavelength: (http://www.g-p-r.com/waveleng.htm)
The wavelength is the spatial distance traversed by one period (or cycle) of the propagating electromagnetic wave. The wavelength is the velocity of propagation in the material divided by the frequency of the propagating wave. Thus (assuming the magnetic properties of vacuum), 300 MHz is a wavelength of 1 meter in air, or about 0.5 m in dry sand with a relative dielectric permittivity of 4, or about 0.2 m in water saturated sand. In general, a contrast in properties has to occur over a size bigger than 1/3 of a wavelength to be observable (though 1/10 wavelength is possible under exceptional circumstances)(see resolution).
greatings!
K.

Besides technical aspects, also legal issues, particularly conflicting EMC regulations have to be considered.
For the EU region, several ETSI standards related to GPR have been issued. Additionally, the european electronic
communications commitee has defined the conditions of GPR use in a decision.
http://www.erodocdb.dk/Docs/doc98/official/Word/ECCDEC0608.DOC

In my opinion, keeping the said regulations with a GPR instrument is obviously more difficult than just assembling a VHF
or UHF pulse radar. I see, that there are similar discussions in the FCC area.

But anyway, I assume, that for the overall project effort, you should calculate a maximum of 10% for the RF frontend and
90% for the signal processing.

My post is not directly on the topic of this thread. Apologies.

meysam_abbasinia said:
I project plans identify objects under the soil I, the objects can be metal or plastic are like pipes, gas electricity cables and telephone in the basement are. To a depth of 2 meters need to have a diagnosis. How do I do this? For example, the radar can be used?
Thank you good tips
This is an important question for landmine detection. Many developing countries suffer from landmines. They also lack sophisticated mine detection equipment. Often they have only metal probes that they poke in the ground at oblique angle. If the probe hits something solid, it could be a landmine... or it could be just a rock. So, the material detection becomes important. Paul Horowitz has an invention in this area. An ultrasonic transciever is placed at end of the probe. Different materials would reflect ultrasound differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.