Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ID numbers to PCBs

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We are working with prototype at the moment but there will be mass production of more then 50 PCBs once the prototype is tested successfully. The question is how do we put ID on them ? I don't think we can do on Silkscreen in the Layout because all the boards will be tested and then given the ID names. Do we have any suggestion ?

sticky printed labels?
Rubber ink stamp?

If you mean to store the number electronically, what kind of memory does the device have. Most MCU and memory programmers can insert sequential serial numbers if told to do so.

Brian.

Hi,

permanent marker?
pigment marker?
EEPROM?
laser?
even the PCB house may do individual QRcode according your requirement.

I guess it rather depends on what you want to achieve with the marking, and how much automated you want it to be and which persons apply it.
And cost and effort and safety not to be modified ... and so on.

Klaus

In my world, we have PCA ID and serial number. Most PCB designs have a reserved place for a sticky label printed by the assembly house.

There will be board number and firmware number in the firmware but I am wondering about the physical number on the PCB. I think sticky printed label would be the best option. How do we print them ? Which type of sticky labels are suitable to put on PCBs ?

Hi,

We use BROTHER TZ tape. Printers are rather cheap.
Etiquettes use thermo-transfer technique and are automatically laminated. They survive mechanical stress, are resistant against alcohol and other chemicals.
Clean the PCB before applying the sticker.

In more than 10 years I never experienced a problem.

Klaus

Etiquettes ??

We also have DYMO tapes 12 mm and printer in house. How do we compare with BROTHER TZ tape ? Which one is better

.. the same as with electrical components: compare the specifications.

We don´t know what feature is more imortant for you and which one less.

I guess if you ask 10 people you get 10 different opinions.

Klaus

Btw: there are different DYMO tapes, with different material, different technology.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back