Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] IC Input and Output Currents

Status
Not open for further replies.

arjob

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys, I am new to electronics. While i was experimenting with 74LS series ICs, I saw the peculiarity, that the I/O current does not match the specifications for the IC. For example the 74LS00 IC specification says, that its Output High current is -400 micrcoA, But I am getting close to 170 miliA. What the **** is happening!! How to measure these Output current properly..

If you do not understand the question pls ask.

Current is generally drawn through an IC by a load. The current stated on such datasheets is generally the maximum that can be safely allowed through the device, not what they will provide as such. The IC output provides a voltage.

The load determines how much current will be drawn, in conjunction with the output voltage, and can be calculated by Ohm's law.

How are you measuring the current? I guess you are connecting an ammeter from the output to ground? If so, then you are short-circuiting the output and will eventually damage the device.

You can measure the output voltage like that, with the multimeter set to a voltage range.

Current is measured by putting the ammeter (multimeter in current mode) in series with a load. An ammeter has almost no resistance (otherwise it would effect the current it is trying to measure) so must not be connected simply between a voltage source and ground, without a load present - it will cause a short-circuit.

Last edited:

thanks so much. you made it clear enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back