Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I2S - Audio Samples and data type

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_PL

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I would like to generate some test audio signals like sine wave for testing codecs. But there is a problem because I do not know how the data is presented. Is it just simple Linear PCM? Then for example maximum amplitude (i.e. 1) of my sine wave would be 11111111 (if 8 bit data) and minimum amplitude (i.e. -1) is 00000000. Or is it 2s complement? So then maximum (1) is 01111111 and minimum (-1) is 10000000.

Regards,
Dave

Yes, it is PCM. It is not two's complement. 00000000 is the minimum and 11111111 is the maximum.

So why in I2S spec is written: "Serial data is transmitted in two's complement with the MSB first" ?

So try it. If it doesn't work try the other way. The worst that could happen is you don't get a sine wave input, but this should be pretty easy to verify. Its not going to break just because the input isn't a pure tone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back