Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I want to simulate a structure 2D

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandruska

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hy,
I want to simulate a 2D structure but I don't know what simulator could I use.
Specifically:
I want to analyze the next 2D structure with a simulator:
Ring1=metal. (Radium 0.2meter)
Ring2=Vacuum(Radium 0.995 meter)
Ring3=dielectric(Radium 1meter) with: pemitivity=2
permeability=4
dielectric loss tangent=0.05
magnetic loss tangent=0.1

After, I want to excite the structure with a planar wave and to view the result in 300 MHz, is this posible?, what simulator must be used?

Thanks and regards.

In HFSS, only 3D objects can be assigned materials by pemitivity & permeability. So your 2D model should become 3D model if you want to assign pemitivity & permeability.

Try using Ansoft Ensemble SV, which was posted here a few months ago.
Or download Ansoft Designer SV from www.ansoft.com

There are many 2D e.m. simulators; Ensemble, now called Designer, Sonnet, Momentum.

Regards

We just finished a work simulating 2D structures (Tapered lines) that had curved outlines.
We discovered that hfss's results were very good compared to simulation time used. We also tried EMSight (Microwave Office). This tool was NOT better NOR faster than HFSS!!! This was because it is based on the MoM and it was only capable of using rectanqular elements for its discretisation. We needed such a fine mesh to achieve suitable results, that it became slower and MUCH more instable than HFSS.
We didn't use Sonnet. that might be better.

D.

Hello :

You can simulate such stracture in both Microwave Office & HFSS , how ever , in HFSS you must draw your stracture in 3D but you can consider the thikness of your stracture as narrow as possible . in fact I think it is better if you simulate it with HFSS because thikness is not zero in practice.

good luck

Zeland IE3D Can simulate your structure well.
Also you can try some FDTD based simulater, such as empire,XFDTD........

sandruska said:
Hy,
I want to simulate a 2D structure but I don't know what simulator could I use.
Specifically:
I want to analyze the next 2D structure with a simulator:
Ring1=metal. (Radium 0.2meter)
Ring2=Vacuum(Radium 0.995 meter)
Ring3=dielectric(Radium 1meter) with: pemitivity=2
permeability=4
dielectric loss tangent=0.05
magnetic loss tangent=0.1

After, I want to excite the structure with a planar wave and to view the result in 300 MHz, is this posible?, what simulator must be used?

Thanks and regards.
hi for complecated structure try to use cst ,hfss or anyof:semcad,zeland(fidelity),xfdtd
that all operate by fdtd
regards

There is a free EM solver offered at **broken link removed**

It might be useful for your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back