Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I want to buy a laptop please help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dozy_walia

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to buy a laptop with UNIX,LINUX for my work on CADENCE and with WINDOWS XP for my work on XILLINX ISE.

What configuration do i need ?
Where can i buy d cheapest and best?
Can i buy a new 1 wid UNIX and WINDOWS installed??

dozy_walia said:
I want to buy a laptop with UNIX,LINUX for my work on CADENCE and with WINDOWS XP for my work on XILLINX ISE.

What configuration do i need ?
Where can i buy d cheapest and best?
Can i buy a new 1 wid UNIX and WINDOWS installed??

Any laptop with pentium 4 will do the job. Need 512M or more for memory, 40GB or more for HD
Ebay is agood place to look at
Don't buy a new one with the OS installed. Install by yourself so you can learn and it's cheaper

Where can i get UNIX & Windows XP to install for free??

If you are looking for UNIX then FreeBSD is the best and also cheap, if you meant Linux then CentOS which is more or less renamed version of RedHat Enterprise linux is the way to go.

Windows is not free, never has and never will be. Since its a laptop you can get an OEM version which is cheaper. Try not to buy Windows in eBay as there are many fake products floating and you don't wanna spend on something that is not original.

Let us know your budget so that people can suggest appropriately.

not free??

Linux and Windows are downloaded free of cost !

They are hacked versions i guess .. bt are available free of cost in market!

Added after 1 minutes:

Kishore ap to mere mahaan desh k wasi lagte ho.... ap ko to pata hoga??

I was worried as few of my frnds recently bought Toshiba and some other compnies through some vendors and they encountered few problems like screen blackout .... and have sent the laptop back to vendor!

Will buying through eBay solve this problem?

I am upgrading my laptop and I am about to buy an Apple MacBook pro. The Mac OS X is just a nice GUI built on BSD unix. Now Apple use intel chipsets, using bootcamp, you can run Windows XP or the bugtastic Vista as a dual boot system. Or you can use parallels and run them both at the same time in a virtual machine. So my advice is buy an Apple, very nice hardware, lovely keyboard, cool looking, and have the best of both worlds.

I havent used Mac OS b4 so lil afraid!!

cn we run all UNIX based ic designing applications such as CADENCE on Mac OS?

Its really costly to buy a laptop in UK!!!

almost double than US/Canada!!

Hii
Dell is the best as far as I can say from my experience..... No problems at all, ubuntu 6.06 runs really smooth plus there are a lot of eda tools made for ubuntu..... google them....
regards

btbass said:
I am upgrading my laptop and I am about to buy an Apple MacBook pro. The Mac OS X is just a nice GUI built on BSD unix. Now Apple use intel chipsets, using bootcamp, you can run Windows XP or the bugtastic Vista as a dual boot system. Or you can use parallels and run them both at the same time in a virtual machine. So my advice is buy an Apple, very nice hardware, lovely keyboard, cool looking, and have the best of both worlds.

Apple machine is just a toy for kids. There is no seious EDA software work with Mac OS

btbass said:

Apple machine is just a toy for kids. There is no seious EDA software work with Mac OS

I have an Apple machine and they are certainly not toys. There isn't much EDA software for them, but they typically aren't used in this market.
That doesn't mean the OS isn't good. At work, I knew a few eingeers who loved Mac OS so much they used as their desktops and used X11, which runs great on Mac OS to access the EDA tools.

Getting back on topic:
dozy_walia, Cadence internally uses IBM ThinkPads running RHEL 3 or 4 when they want to run software on laptops. Since RHEL is sort of expensive, I would get CentOS instead. I recommend T or R series ThinkPads with 2GB of RAM.

You can buy any laptop for this application but if you want to run cadence in a good performance i recommend you to be at lest 1G Ram and dual core processor with 4M cache.
but about Linux I think the most stable distribution is RHE 4 but it's not free.

Status
Not open for further replies.