Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I am looking for a PCI <-> IDE/ATA chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

belax

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am going to make special device, which has to Encrypt data from HDD and to HDD.
So, I am looking for a PCI <-> IDE/ATA chip.
This chip has to implement interface between PCI bus and ATA/IDE(HDD).
What is more, it has to have an ability to buffer data going through PCI to HDD
(or from HDD to PCI) in temporary memory. Then i take this data (from temp.memory) to MCU, encrypt them in MCU, then push back to temporary memory and tell this chip that it can trasfer data from temporary memory to HDD(or to PCI).

What i can to find : MPC5200 microprocessor - it has PCI and ATA interface on board.
But, i want to find a single chip, because compiler and other software for MPC5200 is very expensive for poor Russian student, who wants to make a dimploma project.
Please, help me.
Thank you.

hi

though
i am not aware of chip you are asking for. but being storage ic engineer. i can say you need
simple micro processor (running approx 100Mhz) and i/o buffer chip as well memory on board to make the system you are planning it will be bit difficult than making it with single ic. but that will be affordable for you.

speed requirement of processor depends on

1. speed of pci bus
2. speed of hdd to which you are storing data
3. encription algorithms you are running.

one simple question why do you want to built data encription in hardware where as in software it is easy to built. any way such good hardware data encriptors may be used for hardware lock of softwares.

in short this is great project to work in as to get all kind of exposure

<why do you want to built data encription in hardware where as in software it is easy to built> :
Because hardware encryption can encrypt data despite you OS(Windows, linux, dos or your own OS). And, also, my specialty is associated with hardware.
May be it (soft) is more simple, but i want to learn about pci and ata/ide perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back