Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Howland current source

Status
Not open for further replies.

s.h.bagherzdeh

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone
I want to have a VCCS. I used the Howland current source design.
I need to control load current by adjusting input AC voltage. I need a constant current in the frequency of the input. The current 1mA.
Based on the theory, I set the R2=R4=1Kohm and R1=R3=2Kohm. The load is in the range of 100 ohm to 100kohm. The op-amps I picked up are TL072CN and TL074CN. The VCC,-VCC of +/-15 V and +18/-18 V. The max input vo howland_circuit.jpgltage amplitude is 3.75V. The frequency of 10Khz. But when I implemented on the breadboard and tested it, I could not get the the constant value for current source above 500ohm!!!!!!
If you could help me to solve this problem would be great...

Hi,

Use Ohm's law:
1mA on 100kOhms need a voltage of 100V.

Now you talk about AC....therefore I assume you mean 1mA RMS.
This is +/-1.414mA peak and thus +/-141.4V peak.

Now the Opamp needs some headroom. Therefore you need a supply voltage for the OPAMP of about +/-150V.
--> you will hardly find an Opamp for this high voltage.

--> you need to review your requirements.

Klaus

Thank you for response.
I am wondering even in lower load resistor around 1kohm this current source does not work.
Do I need to change the opamp,? Is there specific opamps IC work better than others?
Do I need to change Resistors design ?
Thanks

Below is the LTspice simulation of your circuit showing a constant current output as the output resistance goes from 1 ohm to about 5.5k ohms.
It starts to clip above that point as limited by the power supply voltage.
I didn't have a model for the TL072 but the op amp shown has similar characteristics.

So I don't understand why your circuit is not working above 500 ohms(?).

if you wanted to go to a higher voltage for a higher load resistance, you could use an HV op amp such as an LTC6090.
Just be aware of the resistors' power dissipation at higher voltages.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.