Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how would i make a 1/2 second delay on a button

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozz1243

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi my sisters ask me if i could mod the ps3 pad so they can quick scope because there not very good at doing it

what i was thinking of doing is hooking a wires up to the L1 and R1 buttons then there going to a new button im going to add to the pad. so when i hit the new button it activates R1 and L1 at the same time but i need a half second or quarter second delay on the R1 button when i press it

dose any one have any idea what i could use or is it even possible. as you can probably tell i dont have any idea when it comes down to this kind of stuff

thanks all

You want to shunt the internal switches of the PS3 using the internal power source to avoid noise, but if you are not careful with static, you can damage the device.

so you want the L1 to react immediately to external SW1 but R1 to react after 0.25 ~ 0.5Sec.?
What about release time?
Are the internal switches NO or NC?
What voltage is avail inside?

What switch debounce time? Switches have a known bounce time in 1~10mS for microswitches._____-_-_------------_-_______

hi sunny

L1 to react immediately to external SW1 but R1 to react after 0.25 ~ 0.5Sec.? thats spot on and release time as soon as you let go of the button

volts i thinks around 5v
iv not a clue about the switches
and again i know im no help at all but i dont know the debounce time (sorry sunny)

i was just wondering if i could put some sort of lag switch or something along them lines inbetween the R1 to the new button (but im guessing its not that simple now). as i said i dont have a clue about any of this stuff i just like takeing stuff apart

- - - Updated - - -

hi sunny

L1 to react immediately to external SW1 but R1 to react after 0.25 ~ 0.5Sec.? thats spot on and release time as soon as you let go of the button

volts i thinks around 5v
iv not a clue about the switches
and again i know im no help at all but i dont know the debounce time (sorry sunny)

i was just wondering if i could put some sort of lag switch or something along them lines inbetween the R1 to the new button (but im guessing its not that simple now). as i said i dont have a clue about any of this stuff i just like takeing stuff apart

First measure voltages across internal PS3 switches on both side when open/close.

Depending on values, you can modify this circuit to use AND Schmitt gates or NAND Schmitt gates from 3 to 12V

Screen shot 2012-07-24 at 5.00.24 PM.png
R2 C2 debounce filter = 50mS or so
eg R2~10KΩ , C2~ 0.1uF

R1C1 = 250mS delay approx
e.g. R1=4.7MΩ C1=0.1uF
increase for more delay with low leakage caps.

If you need PS3 switch to ground with open collector,. subst IC for different type IC

You can test PS3 unit with a 1K Ω resistor across Normally open to see if that works.

Last edited:
thanks sunny i think ill see a bloke in the pub hes an electrical engineer. you lost me after the first line but ill pass this on to him see if he can rig some thing up

- - - Updated - - -

thanks sunny i think ill see a bloke in the pub hes an electrical engineer. you lost me after the first line but ill pass this on to him see if he can rig some thing up

A time delay can be generated using a capacitor and resistor, maybe a diode, maybe a transistor or inverter.

How many components you need depends on what is the internal action inside the unit.

I suppose you need a momentary pulse? Then it restores the L and R buttons back to their idle state? You must determine what that state is.

Did you already purchase the new switch? Is your new switch a momentary push button? Is it normally open, or normally closed?

Does it need to bring a line to zero volts, or to +5V (or whichever is the supply V)?

Just for illustration, below is a link to an animated simulation along the lines of what you want to do.

It's to show you were on the right track.

However this is a simplified method, and may not necessarily work in your unit.

The link opens the falstad.com website. Click Allow when asked to permit the connection. Press the switch to see the R1 oscilloscope volt level rise gradually to almost 5 V.

The timescale is expanded. In real life you would choose the capacitor value to produce your desired time delay.

When you release the switch, both L1 and R1 fall quickly to under 1/2 volt.

https://tinyurl.com/d4ustfa

The concept will need to be refined.

It's a question whether it's better to bridge momentarily across L1 and R1. This would involve transistors.

My method delivers a high or low pulse to an unknown terminal. Again, it may not work in your unit.

You want the added circuit to show a high impedance after it executes its purpose. It is not allowed to interfere with subsequent pushes of L1 and R1.

hi i read something about that... **broken link removed**

click it..

BradtheRad ill have a look at that when i put my pc back together its in bits at the mow ps3 wont let us look at it theres no java on it

- - - Updated - - -

BradtheRad ill have a look at that when i put my pc back together its in bits at the mow ps3 wont let us look at it theres no java on it

hi i read something about that... **broken link removed**

Yes, others wish to do the same thing.

Someone suggested it might require a microcontroller. But that would be overkill.

The circuit board has tiny traces. It will be hard to solder. It will be easier if one of the 'TP' points are to the switch contacts.

i know how to sort this now im going to give the pad to my mate and tell him to take it home and ill get him a few pints in when its done. its far easyer than me killing it

- - - Updated - - -

i know how to sort this now im going to give the pad to my mate and tell him to take it home and ill get him a few pints in when its done. its far easyer than me killing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back