Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use mos capacitor in analog circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

s55

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I understand the MOS capacitor or the MOSCAP is used for some benefits, such as high capacitance density and more. Then, the capacitance of the MOSCAP changes with the gate voltage as explained in the C-V plot of the following link:

From the above curve, there is big difference of capacitance (e.g., ~80pF in different document) between the bottom of depletion (deep depletion) and inversion (or accumulation) region.

Here is my question. I'm trying to use the MOSCAP as the binary-weighted capacitor array (instead of using regular poly capacitors) in my charge-redistribution SAR ADC design. In my ADC, I think there shoud be serious problem that different ADC input voltages (Vin) applied across the MOSCAP array cause different capacitances of each MOSCAP as shown in the above link (e.g., 0 [V] of Vin corresponds to the depletion, while 1[V] of Vin maps to inversion region). This results in wrong binary search process. Am I correct?

If I'm correct, then how do we use the MOSCAP? Is there any specific situation only that we can use the MOSCAP, for example the MOSCAP between voltage supply and ground or something like this?

Last edited:

You are right. Moscap can not be used at places where the linearity is important. Meaning, if the voltage across it is time varying, then the non linear cap takes non linear current resulting in harmonic voltage generation.

So, wherever the linearity is very important like in high resolution ADCs etc., moscaps cannot be used. If the linearity requirement is not stringent or not at all important like supply decap, moscaps can be used as they give high density. Of course, the value or density depends on the average voltage across it.

Reactions: dustin76

s55

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

dustin76

Helpful information, thanks for sharing
Just to add a little bit to the explanation by AMS012:

MOSCAPs are often used in situations when a non-linearity of the capacitance does not matter much, such as in decoupling capacitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back